Are the grapes really sour?
Idiom: The grapes hang too high for the fox
Eva and her sister Lotte do handicrafts at home. "Can we share the blue paper? I want to stick that on my ship," Eva asks her sister. Lotte is not enthusiastic: "I need everything for myself!" Eva thinks for a moment: "I didn't want it anyway, it's not nice," she explains. The father overheard the conversation. He mumbles: "The fox has grapes hanging too high". "Huh, which grapes?" Both children ask in unison.
A very old Greek fable is the origin for this proverb. The poet Aesop wrote it as early as 600 years before Christ. In it, a fox tries to nibble grapes from a vine. Vain. Since he's too small, he can't get to her. The fox gives up and announces: "They are not yet ripe enough for me. I do not like sour grapes." We all know this: we pretend we don't want something because we can't have it.
Today the phrase is also used in a slightly modified form, especially in sports. Then "the grapes are hanging too high" means when it becomes difficult to achieve something. For example a victory in the world championship.
Here we explain more idioms to you
- Is eating raw onions good for diabetics?
- Students should have credit cards
- Which product do you often buy online
- Are time travel paradoxes real
- Are Asians white or black
- What determines the gender of the person
- Is type 2 diabetic for children reversible
- Who discovered NASA
- Clap the law
- Telekinesis is possible through meditation
- What's the easiest hack
- What British traditions need to end
- Have you accepted to be poor?
- Ingress Prime is a dead game
- How innovative were glass windows for automobiles
- What holds in you in the relationship
- What are examples of recycling
- Most white Americans are racist towards Asians
- What is the Objective C programming language?
- How hearing loss causes heart disease
- What are the best monthly subscriptions
- Trucking is worth it
- Why do I keep nibbling on nuts
- How do I text a girl better?
- Can a self published book be published
- What is the true nature of reality
- Does requesting a response from Quora work?
- What are anime with good art
- What companies in Uttarakhand are
- Is Dota 2 worth it
- Which college is better IIFT or IMI
- Trees can get rust poisoning
- How effective are Bluehost SEO tools
- Substance abuse permanently lowers IQ