Can you buy a car when you are 16?
That's what all teenagers dream of: to finally get their driver's license. However, the age of the driver's license is regulated differently around the world. Here you can find out at what age you can drive a car abroad.
Europe: full driving license only from 18
- Germany: A driver's license can be acquired from the age of 17. Up to the 18th birthday, driving is only allowed with an accompanying person who is older than 30 years. This must have had a driver's license for 5 years. And must not be drunk.
- Austria, Belgium, Spain, Norway, Sweden: Up to the age of 18, novice drivers must put up a sign with the inscription "L17" (driving authorization with 17) in the vehicle. The requirements for accompanied driving are similar to those for us.
- Netherlands, Switzerland, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Denmark, Finland: Minimum age 18 years
- France: From the age of 16, novice drivers are allowed to drive after 21 hours of driving and having passed the theoretical test - but only when accompanied by an adult. The full driver's license is only available at the age of 18.
North America: Graduated Driver Licensing from 14
Driving a car in the USA
Since the 50 states of the USA determine the age for the driver's license themselves, it is a little more complicated there: First you get it Driving license on trial. Graduated Driver Licensing is the name of the 3-tier system that most states have in place.
- It starts with the Learner’s permit, with which novice drivers are only allowed to drive when accompanied by an adult. The ages vary from 14 to 16.
- Then comes the Intermediate Licensewith which you can drive without an accompanying person. However, certain requirements must be complied with. For example, limited going-out times, no cell phone use in the car and only a certain number of passengers.
- Full privilege license (unrestricted driving license) is the name of the last stage at which the novice driver must have reached a certain age. It is between the ages of 16 and 18 and differs from state to state.
Driving a car in Canada
In Canada, the age for applying for a driver's license is 16. The licensing phases differ in the individual provinces.
Australia and Asia: When can you start driving?
- Australia: It is allowed to get the driver's license at the age of 16. The full driver's license can be obtained at the age of 18. In between, novice drivers have to attach various learning badges to the car.
- Japan, Russia: The age limit for the driver's license is 18 years.
- Middle East and many Asian countries: Driving license only from 18
- Israel: Driving license from 16 years and 9 months
Africa and South America: full driving license often from 18
Africa: In most African countries, the minimum age for a full driver's license is 18 years. You can often drive with a beginner's license as early as the age of 17. In Zambia you can even drive at 16. Another exception is Niger, where you have to be 23 years old.
South America: In most countries, the age limit is 18.Exception: In Colombia, the driver's license is already available from 16.
Are you traveling abroad and would like to drive a car there?
Danger: In many countries, the German driving license is not sufficient. Then you need one international driving license.
- Within Europe: In addition to the German driving license, the international driving license is recommended in Albania, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.
- Outside of Europe: The international driver's license is required for most countries.
The right insurance for your vacation abroad
- Foreign health insurance: An accident while on vacation or a sudden illness abroad is annoying. Recovery is impaired for the time being. To make matters worse, a visit to the doctor incurs additional costs. The solution: a foreign health insurance. It will reimburse you for all necessary medical, hospital and transport costs for the first 8 weeks of your trip.
- Private accident insurance: A private accident insurance protects you against the financial consequences of an accident. Worldwide, also in case of accidents while traveling.
You might also be interested in
- Which university is the worst in Australia?
- Which payment processor accepts a dropshipping business?
- Are you enjoying life right now?
- Why does gravity change around the earth
- What happens to a black hole in the end?
- Is the time a one-dimensional string
- Requires data science freshmen
- What are the advantages of WordPress
- Healthy nutrition can become a dangerous obsession
- What kind of person was Michael Jackson
- What are some good skimboarding tips
- What knives are used in John Wick
- Is Malaysia a clean country
- What are your favorite sitcoms
- How do DevOps and Agile differ?
- Is anal sex normal
- Why is rust removal important
- Are online degrees valid?
- How is matter curve spacetime 1
- Can I work in Germany while studying?
- What are the best apps for learning English
- What TV internet ads do you hate
- How do camps work
- Should Bougainville join the Solomon Islands
- Why did Nero crucify Peter
- Why does Quora allow such xenophobic comments?
- What is 15 5 3
- Time is important to life
- Why do lawyers need a bachelor's degree
- Do you think podcasts are dead
- Libor is a floating rate
- What are the cons of junk food
- Why do Americans build wooden houses
- Fat shame would lower the obesity problem