What are some useless psychological facts
Fun facts about countries
You probably don't know these funny country facts yet
Our world counts almost 200 countries, so you can stumble upon interesting fun facts from countries that trigger one or two smiles or raise our eyebrows in amazement. I've put together the most bizarre of these facts for you.
Many travel professionals among you might already know that the Turkish city of Istanbul is located in Asia as well as in Europe and that you can dive between the continents on Iceland, but I bet that the following fun facts about countries are guaranteed to be new to you. Smile, shake your head or be amazed - you've never seen the countries like this before.
The most amazing fun facts about countries
Europe | America | Asia
Africa | Oceania
15 fun facts about Europe
- Albania: In Albania you nod for “no” and shake your head for “yes”.
- Germany: The longest ever published word in German is: Donaudampfschifffahrtselizitätshauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft.
- France: In Paris there is only one stop sign, but there is also a Statue of Liberty and you can marry dead people and the Eiffel Tower. But by law you can't call your pig Napoleon.
- Greece: Greeks are very superstitious. If you get a compliment on beauty or health, you think the "evil eye" is looking at you. To fend off that, you spit three times at the person to be congratulated - but only symbolically with the spitting sound "ftou ftou ftou". In Greece you should also never hand over a knife directly, as it is believed to cause an argument. Put the knife down on the table so the other person can take it for themselves.
- Austria: A lot of wine was used in the construction of St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna, but not for drinking. Instead of the bad vintage simply being thrown away, it was recycled to extinguish the lime.
- San Marino: There is no official border control between San Marino and Italy. For a small fee you can have your passport stamped as a souvenir at the tourist office.
- Monaco: The whole of Monaco can be crossed on foot from north to south in 52 minutes - or from east to west in 45 minutes.
- Croatia: Probably the smallest town in the world is located in the Croatian town of Hum with a total of only 30 inhabitants.
- Liechtenstein: The dwarf state is the main producer of false teeth. Particularly popular: black prostheses for countries such as India, where black teeth are considered an ideal of beauty.
- Montenegro: In Montenegro, the German mark was the official currency for a long time. When there was the euro, the country simply adopted the currency, even though they were not a member of the EU at all.
- Finland: If the speed limit exceeds 20 km / h, the amount of the ticket depends on the driver's income. In Finland there can be five-digit amounts.
- Latvia: There is a very special hotel in Latvia. The Karosta advertises “prison hotel” with “be a prisoner for one day” and treats its guests accordingly. Before moving into the cell, one signs that one agrees to be treated like a prisoner.
- Romania: Here you will find the waterfall that is considered by many to be the most beautiful waterfall in the world: the Cascada Bigar. In addition, the village of Sâpânta in the Romanian region of Maramures is home to the world's most colorful cemetery.
- Switzerland: In Switzerland there is an almost 500 year old statue that shows how the fountain figure is eating children: the Kindlifresserbrunnen. The figure was once used to intimidate disobedient children.
- Iceland: In Iceland there are so-called "elven officers" who contact construction companies as soon as they believe that an elven home will be destroyed during construction.
10 fun facts about America
- Canada: The name Canada originated from a small misunderstanding: The locals invited the French explorer Cartier to their "kanata", which translates as "village". But Cartier thought that the whole nation was meant and named it after that.
- Brazil: There is an Osama Bin Laden bar in São Paulo, where you are served by a bin Laden doppelganger.
- Haiti:The neighboring country of the Dominican Republic is the only country where voodoo is a recognized religion.
- Argentina: This is where most of the psychologists can be found per inhabitant. There is even a neighborhood in Buenos Aires called “Villa Freud”.
- Ecuador: Most of the houses in Ecuador only have a beautiful facade. All other sides are usually unplastered.
- Bolivia: It is normal to eat guinea pigs in Bolivia - just like in Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and some other parts of South America.
- Costa Rica:There are no addresses in Costa Rica. So if you want to send a letter, you have to describe the area as precisely as possible.
- Belize: McDonald’s fans should not necessarily travel to Belize, because there is not a single branch of the famous fast food chain there.
- Arizona: Women are legally banned from wearing pants in the city of Tucson.
- Mexico: Vegetarians don't have it easy in Mexico, because Mexicans can hardly imagine a life without meat. In 2012, around 63 kg of meat per person was consumed in the country.
15 fun facts about Asia
- Bangladesh: In Bangladesh there is a replica of the Taj Mahal by the millionaire Ahsanulla Moni.
- China: In Hong Kong you can study "Bra Studies" - that is, BH Sciences.
- Saudi Arabia: The desert state is the largest country without a river. Until recently, women were not allowed to travel here without their husbands' permission. A change in the law now makes it possible for all citizens aged 21 and over to apply for a passport and travel independently.
- Brunei: The Sultan of Brunei lives in 1,788 rooms, has 257 bathrooms, a wife who is also his cousin, had Michael Jackson sang about her for 16 million dollars and a name that is 223 characters long: Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar 'Ali Saifuddien Sa'adul Khairi Waddien, Sultan dan Yang Di-Pertuan Negara Brunei Darussalam.
- Afghanistan: Anyone who is assigned the number 39 on their license plate in Afghanistan will not have an easy time. Because then you are insulted as a pimp everywhere. The number is namely linked to prostitution in superstition and is considered cursed.
- Bahrain: A man is allowed to perform gynecological examinations here, but not directly look at the female genital organs. Therefore, the male gynecologists always use a mirror during their examinations.
- Thailand: The Thai name of Bangkok is Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.
- Iraq: A memorial has been erected in Tikrit for the person who threw a shoe at George W. Bush at that time.
- Bhutan: There are no traffic signals in Bhutan.
- Russia: In Russia, until it was officially banned in 2012, there was a sex doll swimming race - the Bubble Baba Challenge: Up to 800 participants tried to get through the river on a swimming sex doll. The only requirements were the minimum age of 16 years and passing an alcohol test.
- Tajikistan: Here a monobrow is considered an absolute ideal of beauty.
- Indonesia: The island nation of Indonesia exports most of the frog legs.
- Cambodia: In Cambodia, tarantulas are a delicacy. That's where you eat tarantula kebabs.
- Dubai: In Dubai the police drive Lamborghini or similar cars to catch up with speeders. There are also machines there where you can “withdraw” gold bars.
- All of Asia: Many people find toilet paper unsanitary and therefore prefer to help with a little water and their left hand - this is why it is considered unclean and is not used for eating.
8 fun facts about Africa
- Sudan:In Sudan there is a tradition of “ghost marriage”. If a husband dies, his brother takes his place and marries the widow. All children conceived are considered to be descendants of the deceased. Such marriages have also taken place in China and France.
- Lesotho: Lesotho was probably home to a huge, carnivorous dinosaur, because that's where its footprints were found. The dinosaur is said to have been around nine meters long and three meters high.
- Ethiopia: Here you can feed hyenas in Harar because they are valued and honored there instead of hated and driven away.
- Zimbabwe: The rapper 50 Cent is known as $ 400 million in Zimbabwe.
- Seychelles: Pirates used to stop in the Seychelles. According to this, Olivier le Vasseur's treasure should still be buried on the main island.
- Samoa: There is the tradition of Fa’afafine here, which means that you raise a son as a daughter when you already have too many sons in the family.
- Tonga: Brother and sister alone in the room is already considered inbreeding in Tonga, swimming on Sundays is forbidden and if a boy talks alone to a girl, both are considered "fixed together".
- Mauritius: The island state has no official language.
4 fun facts about Oceania
- Australia: There is a good reason why a kangaroo and an emu adorn the coat of arms of Australia: Both animals cannot go backwards, so the country is under the sign of progress. Here is the longest, continuous fence in the world. With a proud 5,614 km, the “dingo fence” is the longest structure on earth and therefore even longer than the Great Wall of China.
- Nauru:At 21 km², Nauru is the smallest republic in the world and has no capital.
- Fiji: In Fiji, the date line runs on the island of Taveuni. On a sign you can see where a new day begins and you can stand with one foot in today and the other in tomorrow.
- New Zealand: The Lord of the Rings brought in an estimated 200 million dollars in New Zealand. To manage the money and the incoming tourists, a "Lord of the Rings Minister" has been introduced.
Would you have known?
That was a lot of fun facts about different countries - did you already know one or the other curiosity? Or do you know any other fun facts that are not listed here? Be sure to let me know what made you smile while abroad. If you want inspiration for your next trip, you can stop by my travel magazine. There are many other interesting articles on the subject of travel.
Other countries other manners
- What screams I'm upper class in France
- Conservatism increases
- Every race is racist
- Is sex on the beach really enjoyable?
- Would pork eat pork
- What is portable steam cleaner
- What is your healthy food
- Why are crazy people so smart
- Would you recommend mastering a studio recording
- Can you record music in prison?
- Why are concentration camps called that
- Why do people not have feathers
- Make people like war
- How do I play craps
- Are Ahmadiyya's Muslims
- Are private or public hospitals open today?
- Does the insurance cover chiropractic care
- What is your motivation every day at work
- Get tired of breast cancer
- What is DIP-Diaet
- Where in the universe is there dark matter
- What is gram equivalent and equivalent mass?
- Where and how are Dyson vacuum cleaners made
- How to make a pumice stone