Why don't Americans eat Asian carp
Asian carp threaten U & period; S & period; Great Lakes
Two species of Asian carp could drive domestic fish from the great lakes, according to a new government report warns of these invasive fish gaining a foothold in this new area.
BigHead and silver carp in the Midwestern rivers pose a "significant environmental risk" to the Great Lakes, particularly Lakes Michigan, Huron and Erie, according to a risk assessment released today (July 16) by Canadian and US scientists.
"Ever since these alien fish first escaped and began to breed productively in the rivers of the Midwest, the questions everyone has been asking have been: can a farmed population survive in the Great Lakes area, and would it be a big problem if they did? " Now we know the answers, and unfortunately they are yes and again yes, "said Marcia McNutt, director of the United States Geological Survey, in a statement." This study is helping scientists and resource managers in Canada and the US determine how and where theirs are Step up efforts as they continue to prevent the establishment of these invasive fish. "
Over the next 20 years, the risk of fishy invasion continues to rise as the carp continue to spawn in midwestern rivers the researchers found. She added that her findings are based on containment efforts ongoing through November 2010 and included no additional efforts established since then. [Gallery: Invasive Species]
The scientists found that parts of the great lakes should hold enough food to support the Asian carp making their way to the lakes. The most likely entry point would be across the Chicago area waterway system, the series of rivers and canals that connects Lake Michigan with the lower Des Plaines River, the Illinois River, and the Mississippi River.
If the carp spread in the great lakes, they would likely be ousting native species by competing with them for food, especially plankton. The resulting decline in plankton-eating fish leads to a loss of predatory fish that eat plankton-eaters. Asian carp prey could also be yellow on the larvae of certain fish species such as pikeperch and perch, the scientists reported.
Strategies to help the invasive carp off the great lakes include tracking and monitoring the fish and possibly installing electrical dispersal barriers to prevent movement towards Lake Michigan. Some biologists have also suggested that Americans eat the carp that are consumed elsewhere even though the fish are boniness to reduce their numbers.
Follow Stephanie Pappas on Twitter@sipappasor LiveScience@livescience. We're up too Facebook & Google+.
Killer Shrimp could invade the Great Lakes & period;
Algal bloom turns the Great Lakes green
Asian carp common in Upper Mississippi
Great Lakes low levels can get spring boost & period;
Great Lakes water levels are unusual in declining
5 Best Great Lakes Beaches 2011 Revealed
Look at the water & colon; Great Lakes currents visualized
Still frozen Great Lakes could mean & comma; cold temperatures all summer
African "Great Lake" unique species & comma; declared protected
Plastic pollutes Great Lakes
Great Lakes strange currents explored with tow-yoing
New weapons against invasive carp & colon; knife and fork
Why are Asian carp so scary & quest;
Wrecks in the port of Big Tub in Lake Huron
- Why is Malaysian language nowhere offered
- Why is nationalism looked down on?
- Is language a barrier to love
- Which are the free WordPress hosting websites
- Can not eat, brain function increases
- What hurts crypto currency
- Doctors look down on nurses
- All legitimate websites that pay for reviews
- Doctors look down on nurses
- Is it worth learning Fortran
- What are the best email subscription plugins
- What is the Paris Syndrome
- When do I write unit tests
- How was your experience at TISS
- What are some signs of getting bigger?
- What to do after b com
- Tea bag tea is the best
- Call racist people racist racist
- What is the best breed of tracking dog
- Instagram was created with Python only
- What is a living organism
- How much do Deloitte executives make
- What are the fees of IIM A.
- Hakka noodles and chow are the same as mine
- Is it difficult to open an ecommerce store
- When did the exploration of Mars begin?
- How difficult is a data analyst interview
- Where can a data scientist work
- How do people eat
- How often should I sharpen a chisel
- How to make cyan color
- How do people preserve wines and champagne
- Will removing the carpet fix a flea infestation