Which protein contains casein?
Casein: This is how it helps you to achieve your goals
How much do you need
You already know when and why whey protein is worth it. But there is another protein powder that is almost as popular: Casein. What exactly that is, how it differs from whey protein and whether it should end up in your shakers in the future, you can find out here!
What is casein anyway?
Under the name of Casein hides the Protein content of milkthat does not end up in the whey, but is processed into cheese and Co. It educates 80% the much more common milk protein and is therefore often also called "Milk protein" called. Even if Casein "just one biological value of 77 has (which is still very good!) it has just like whey (whey protein) one complete amino acid profile. That means it contains all of them essential amino acidsthat the body cannot produce itself, but has to take in through food. These also include those that are particularly important for building muscle BCAA - although not quite as many as in whey.
Casein has made a nasty reputation for itself in recent years: It is one of the most common triggers for cow's milk allergies and causes stomach grumbles, especially in sensitive athletes, because it is a comparative factor high lactose content and is therefore difficult to digest. Before you think whey is the “better” protein, you’re wrong, folks. Casein has not only three times as much calcium like whey protein, but can also score with other advantages!
Lose weight through casein and maintain muscle in the diet
One of them: stomach acid makes it viscous and so digests much more slowly than whey - that can up to eight hours last! What that means? Easy, the amino acids are simply released into the bloodstream much more slowly than other proteins. Milk protein reaches the highest level in the blood only three to four hours after ingestion.
While you can describe whey with fast absorption and a steep peak, it says at Casein slow uptake and flat peak. Especially in Diets plays Casein protein therefore a role: On the one hand, it saturates longer due to the slower absorption, on the other hand protects it from muscle breakdown in the calorie deficit. Top!
Natural sources of casein protein: protein from dairy products
Other than whey, some foods lend themselves to being natural sources of casein at. Logical when the protein makes up around 80% of milk and is part of many products. The front runners are definitely cheese and lowfat quark - forms in both Casein the majority of the protein contained by coagulating it takes on a firm consistency.
Nevertheless, you should consider whether you shouldn't do it anyway Casein protein in powder form works - because viewed in absolute terms, you get with dietary supplements more casein for less money. Besides, you can Save a lot of calories with pure casein! A calculation example: an average portion Casein 30 grams of protein provides you with around 110 calories. To the same amount Casein to take in with milk, you would have to drink around a liter - depending on the fat level, that is around four to five times the amount of calories!
Micellar Casein vs. Calcium Caseinate: What's the Difference?
The most common type of Casein is this Micellar casein or micellar casein. It is considered to be of higher quality because it is extracted very gently. At low temperatures, the starting product milk goes through an ultrafiltration process (and not a chemical process). This leaves the Nutrient qualityand function obtained, the result is a natural, complete milk protein 100% casein.
The Calcium caseinate on the other hand, it is produced by a chemical process, namely by acid precipitation. It is separated from the milk and, as a starting product, contains particularly little fat and carbohydrates. But there is "only" made from 80% casein and 20% whey. That is also the reason why you get calcium caseinate at a cheaper price.
Who is casein suitable for?
Casein is particularly at due to its long digestive process Willing to lose weight popular because it fills you up for a long time and prevents food cravings.
But be careful with lactose intolerance!
Because Casein the amino acids are only slowly transferred into the bloodstream, many fitness athletes also use it for Muscle preservation in periods when they otherwise eat little or nothing and the body would normally go to its own memory - keyword muscle breakdown.
The right timing: casein in the evening instead of after training
One such period is the night: Your body is hardly or not at all supplied with food here for several hours, that is to say that too Amino acid supply lies flat for hours. Around To prevent muscle breakdown and at the same time the Promote muscle building, offers itself Casein perfect for evenings. In fitness circles that gave him the nickname "Night protein" brought in.
You can do casein perfectly in a diet between the meals take or even as Meal replacementwhen you've reached your daily calorie limit.
Dosage of casein protein
For the dosage of Casein Protein is the same as for whey: specific instructions on how often and how much you should take depends on individual factors such as Goal setting, Training level and the other nutrition from. Basically, you should look at yourself one to two servings of 30 grams of casein per day orientate, more precise consumption recommendations can be found on the respective products.
Possible side effects of casein protein
Who overdoes it with the consumption, uses an inferior product or Casein simply not or not well tolerated, the following symptoms can surprise you:
- Impure complexion
- Allergy symptoms in case of an allergy to milk protein
- Digestive discomfort and abdominal pain, especially if you are lactose intolerant
- (Too) high protein consumption is suspected of damaging the kidneys - but this has not yet been proven.
To be on the safe side, you should first go to one higher quality product grab it and second do not overdose - remember, it is still a food SUPPLEMENT!
More than just shakes: Cooking and baking with casein
Casein has long had a permanent place on the kitchen shelf of sporty kitchen fairies. Because here it beats whey by far: it absorbs more water, is generally more fluffy and more heat-resistant and ensures a thicker consistency - which is also the reason why, by the way Shakes with casein always creamier be considered with whey.
Generally suitable Casein but for the same purposes as whey: It can replace (at least some of) flour in recipes, pimp the nutritional values of individual dishes or make them suitable for low-carb foods and thicken sauces or soups.
The best recipes with casein
Casein as a kitchen ingredient convince yourself, but you are still missing specific recipes? No problem:
For more inspiration, click through my recipes!
Conclusion: That brings casein
- Casein is digested slowly and therefore keeps you full for a long time
- Casein protects against (nightly) muscle breakdown
- The Milk protein has a perfect amino acid profile and provides valuable BCAAs
- Depending on the manufacturing process, a distinction is made between Micellar casein and Calcium caseinate
- Casein Due to its properties, it is perfect as a kitchen ingredient
- Casein contains a lot of lactose and should therefore be avoided if you are intolerant
One more question remains: where can you go to one top pricehigh quality casein protein to get?! For the answer you just have to take a look at my website under Supplements - you are guaranteed to find something there!
How are your experiences with Casein?
- Who is Sakura's father
- What is 2 2 3 + 3
- Why can't I turn back time
- Why is the Bugatti Veyron so expensive
- Which question will never have an answer
- Why was Hawaii made a state?
- Are Baby IIMs worth joining
- What is an example of an EM algorithm
- What percentage of South Korea speak Korean?
- How cheese causes constipation
- Why should workers join a union?
- How has nationalism affected the world?
- Is the long haul going badly for you
- Orbits the dark matter something
- Why do nickel have no burrs in 2015
- What is Salesforce Pardot
- Why do we fall in love every day
- What are some of the most unique quotes out there
- Which is more important family or passion
- Are there any jobs in drug development
- When do biker gangs attack?
- Amish people are usually happy
- Is my hemoglobin level dangerous?
- What is your goal in life
- What is Locke's Subtratum
- Which laboratories offer DNA paternity testing?
- What is the programming behind micropayments
- Why is money so important to human life
- Which Star Trek ship is the most powerful?
- What are some suggestions for interview questions
- What does xd mean when writing SMS
- How am I going to get the most torn
- What are some of your favorite algorithms
- Is your mother-in-law purely angry