How important is the Allais paradox
An example presented by Maurice ALLAIS (born 1911), which questions the plausibility of the expected utility maximization as an axiomatic formulation of rational individual decisions in the case of risk and uncertainty. ALLAIS designs the following alternatives: Situation S 1: A: 100% chance of
$ 1,000,000 or B: 10% chance of
$ 5,000,000 89% chance of
$ 1,000,000 I% chance of $ 0 Situation S2: X: 11% chance of
$ 1,000,000 89% chance of $ 0 or Y: 10% chance of
5. 000,000 $ 90% chance of $ 0 An individual acting in accordance with expected utility maximization would always have to express the preference X> Y in S2 if he preferred A> B in Si (or Y> X if B> A) . Experimentally it was found that more than half of the individuals prefer Y> X and A> B at the same time. However, this implies a decision calculus in which the probabilities are included in a non-linear way, while with expected utility maximization, i.e. max Iu (r;) p;, the probabilities are p-linearly included (decision theory). ALLAIS \ '»Paradoxon« indicates that linearity in the probabilities, at least in the range close to certainty (p = 100%), is problematic as an axiom and is impermissible as a behavioral assumption because of the »preference for certainty« relevant here. In numerous experiments, various types of systematic violations of the axioms of the expected utility hypothesis that have other causes have now been identified. This has led to a discussion about alternative decision theories in the event of uncertainty. R.S. Literature: Machina, M. (1987)
Previous technical term: All-time-high | Next technical term: Allegative advertising
Report this article to the editors as incorrect & mark it for editing
- Is daycare for toddlers stressful
- Like cookies
- Am I anorexic 1
- Who is a mean person
- Why is carbon monoxide a monodentate ligand
- What is the true nature of reality
- Can replace Facebook Libra money crypto currency
- Which books help to make someone smarter
- When did Donald Trump enter politics?
- Is it good or bad to order food online?
- Is anything real 3
- Who pays state senators' salary
- What is self motivation
- Get math graduate jobs at NASA
- What alternatives are there to the Panama Canal
- How do I promote a webinar
- What do you wish you would have believed
- How can I make 30,000 a month
- What does the existence of a wormhole do
- Can I rub Neosporin on my dog?
- What is upi on Paytm
- What does transitive dependency mean in DBMS
- How are the Hostwinds web hosting services
- Where can I get speakers in Singapore
- Has an architect ever sued Donald Trump
- What is friendship with your friends
- The collapse of the EU is imminent
- Why do people want AR 15 to be banned?
- Why should military service be compulsory?
- How are eggs vegetarian
- Will seedless grapes hurt dogs
- What are good business email signatures?
- Are the Bahamas part of the USA
- Is good depending on exports