Ad networks are exaggerating the eCPM numbers
How many clicks you need for good AdSense earnings
Some people earn four-figure income with Google AdSense, while others have to be content with a few euros a month.
A common reason for this is the number of clicks visitors make on the AdSense ads.
How many clicks you need for good AdSense earnings, I'll tell you below.
How many clicks you need for good AdSense earnings
Basically, you can first of all state that more clicks are usually also better. However, only if there are “real” clicks from real interested users. Google evaluates what people are doing who click on AdSense ads. If these disappear again and again from the website in question, then Google evaluates this as bad traffic and lowers the AdSense remuneration for the website from which they come.
Otherwise, of course, the more clicks there are, the better. After all, you always get a commission when someone clicks on it. So, just like with Google AdWords, it doesn't depend on the number of impressions, but on the clicks on the AdSense ads.
This is also the reason why smaller websites and blogs can make good money with Google AdSense. You just have to make sure that the highest possible percentage of visitors click on the ads.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to say exactly how many clicks that are. This is because each click is remunerated differently. I will come back to this later.
AdSense earnings example
However, we can expect an average value that is quite typical. An average of 30 cents per click is a realistic figure in many industries. Of course there are also values that are above or below, but you can count on 30 cents.
In order to earn 100 euros a month with Google AdSense, the AdSense ads on our website must therefore be around 333 times to be clicked.
If we even want to earn 1,000 euros a month, that's around 3333 clicks necessary.
Increase clicks on AdSense ads
That's a lot, even if it doesn't sound like a lot, especially for larger blogs. Unfortunately, not many of the visitors click on Google AdSense ads.
So what can we do to get more of our readers to click on AdSense ads? In no case should we ask them to. This is not allowed by Google and can quickly lead to expulsion.
Instead, we should not only incorporate the ads (e.g. via plugin), but also optimize them so that the number of clicks on them increases.
Here are a few important tips to increase the number of clicks:
- The AdSense ads should ideally be incorporated directly into the main content. So not in the sidebar or the footer, where nobody will notice them. Instead, directly in the actual text of the page and as high up there as possible.
- Bigger is better. In my experience, this is at least true for AdSense ads. Instead of a relatively small 468 × 60 display, you should try a 600 × 300 pixel display. The visitors simply notice it more and that increases the click rate.
- Striking colors also ensure that readers notice the ads. However, it should still fit the overall layout, otherwise it can come across as very negative.
- In any case, you should test the AdSense image ads. In addition to the usual text ads, it can work better in some industries if you let AdSense display graphic banners.
- Google has removed the limit on AdSense ads per page. You shouldn't overdo it, but you can definitely add a second AdSense ad.
- Google has been making responsive ads that adapt to screen size possible for a long time. I only use these, because this is how the AdSense ads are displayed properly on the smartphone.
- It is also worth reducing the distractions. By including fewer other links, ads, or whatever, the chances that visitors will click on the AdSense ad increases.
- And of course more traffic helps too. From experience we can say that the click rate remains the same as the number of visitors increases. For example, if there are 100 clicks with 10,000 visitors, then there are around 200 clicks with 20,000 visitors.
I have described further best practices and experiences in this article.
Other factors for higher AdSense earnings
The bottom line is that it is not the clicks that count, but the income. Therefore, you should not only concern yourself with increasing the number of clicks, but also work on the other factors that influence AdSense earnings.
For one thing, that's the Pay per clickwhich may differ more or less from the 30 cents mentioned above. For many who complain of insufficient AdSense earnings, this is one of the main reasons. If there is only 5 cents per click on average, then you can double or triple the number of clicks, it won't be that much more.
The click prices depend heavily on the theme from. There are simply lucrative topics where there are many advertisers who are also willing to pay high amounts per click. I have had good experiences with hosting, for example. In my hosting blog, the average AdSense click fee is just under one euro.
With the 333 clicks mentioned above, I would earn just over 300 euros here. That is significantly more than the 100 euros with an average click fee of 30 cents.
Of course that is too Search volume important. What good is an average click price of one euro if only 1,000 people search for the topic per month? Then you won't earn that much either. So choose e.g. popular topics for your articles.
And also the target group itself is not unimportant. For example, I've made the experience that internet-savvy users (i.e. users who are very knowledgeable about the internet) click on AdSense less often than others.
When it comes to increasing AdSense revenue, you can and should do a number of different things. So you can multiply your income.
AdSense earnings example:
Here again the initial example with not so good values:
0.30 euros per click * 0.5% click rate * 20,000 visitors = 30 euros / month
If you increase all 3 factors a little, then this can lead to significantly higher income:
0.50 euros per click * 0.8% click rate * 30,000 visitors = 120 euros / month
The revenue has quadrupled due to the slight improvements!
Calculate income yourself
As you can see, the answer to the question of how many clicks you need for good AdSense earnings is unfortunately not that easy to answer. There are just too many factors that affect earnings.
But it is also clear that in most cases you need three-digit click numbers to generate halfway sensible income. If you want to live off Google AdSense, you usually need a good four-digit number of clicks per month.
If you want to estimate how high the AdSense earnings could be from a planned website, then I recommend my AdSense calculator. Here you have to enter some data and you will get an estimate of how high your AdSense earnings could be.
Are you happy with your AdSense earnings?
Finally, I would be interested to know whether you are satisfied with your AdSense earnings or not. And if not, which of the factors mentioned is the main problem for you.
In my AdSense calculator you can calculate how much income you will generate with it.
Free newsletter with tips, examples, insights ...
- Is a TI 84 worth it
- What learning strategies do fast learners pursue?
- Can I eat tamarind while pregnant?
- Why can people no longer spell correctly
- Can my employer terminate my employment
- What is the true nature of time
- How do Islamic banks make money
- Let's live in another dimension
- Where can I find Singaporean students
- Is the minimum wage too low?
- What do you think of corporal punishment
- What is an example of an EM algorithm
- Can I eat frozen foods with every meal
- How can sales automation help your business
- What foreign languages do the British know?
- Which target group are travel sites targeting?
- How can I become a master electrician
- How can national integration be promoted
- Why is it so difficult to clean windows
- How much does 1 point weigh
- Are bipolar people weird
- How often does the average girl squirt
- Are there any glitches in physics
- What is the organizational structure of Airbnbs?