Is Hawaii a good place to live
Hawaii: How Much Aloha Is Left On The Pacific Islands?
Mike Sisiem is sitting on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, waiting for customers. At 52 years of age, he still looks like a surfer from a prospectus - tanned, extremely relaxed and one with the sea. Here, on the most famous beach in Hawaii, the islands, where surfing flourished in its current form and from where it was carried around the world, guys like him glide on their boards through the surf shortly after sunrise.
But Sisiem not only surfs, he offers beachgoers an even older Hawaiian tradition: trips on the outrigger canoe. The islands were discovered more than a thousand years ago with small, fast paddle boats of this type - by adventurers from Polynesia.
The alluring promise of South Sea flair still wafts around the islands today. Hawaii, a synonym for a peaceful, exotic world, has long since become a destination of longing. The 50th state of the USA offers tourist packages for honeymooners, nature lovers and beach vacationers - but can they really find what they're looking for here? Did island romance survive Americanization and tourist marketing? Or was it an invention of the travel industry, a legend from the start?
Paddle like the Polynesians a thousand years ago
What is the truth about the myth of Hawaii? You can actually experience its origins here, literally: with paddles in hand on Sisiem's ten-meter-long outrigger canoe, the slender Polynesian boat with a stabilizing arm on the side.
As the captain, Sisiem focuses on steering the waves - no easy feat. The training lasts over ten years, and only a few achieve the captain's license.
He turns the canoe a few hundred meters from the beach. After a break, the sharp command comes to the four tourists, who are sitting one behind the other in the narrow hull, to paddle again. The boat is raised onto the crest of the wave and shoots towards the beach.
- Why is world peace considered important
- Should have ended up with Draco's Hermione
- What does the Bible say about assertiveness
- How much alcohol is drinkable
- Which is the best English newspaper
- Why are goats afraid of water
- Can we smoke a cigarette
- How do I finger myself
- Who is the economical MongoDB hosting provider
- What's your best tip for generating traffic
- How to tip a cow
- How is the gig economy changing art
- What is harmful solar radiation
- Is the mandate of gun liability insurance constitutional
- What is the most misunderstood economic concept
- What is the hybridization of PCl3
- Is the minimum wage too low?
- What screams I'm upper class in Spain
- The universe is a white hole
- Why is Nietzsche considered a great philosopher
- What does major depression do to someone
- Which symbol stands for life
- How do companies differ
- What do you think of rainbows
- What are some popular MLMs
- Does ADHD affect behavior
- Malcolm X was a black supremacist
- Are black holes made of dark matter
- How do I report Quora
- How does society see female conservatives
- Why do dolphins help people
- Is Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur really innocent
- How did our company increase its sales
- How are church bells made these days