Is it important to learn the English language
9 reasons why English is the best language
No matter where you are in this world, there is always someone who speaks English. But when and why did English become such an important language for communities far from the UK and French Polynesia? Let's find out together.
1. ENGLISH IS THE MOST SPOKEN LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD
It depends in part on how you count: In addition to the 400 million or so native speakers, English is understood and / or spoken by 1 - 1.6 billion people. Since more than a quarter of the world speaks this language, there is always someone to practice with.
2. THE LANGUAGE FOR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS
Since the main administrative offices of large international corporations are mostly located in the financial strongholds of Great Britain and the United States, English has long been the standard language of commerce. This could also be due to the fact that native English speakers do not like to be the first to learn another language. And somehow you have to find common ground with people from all over the world, right?
3. MOST MOVIES ARE IN ENGLISH
Hollywood is one of the most powerful corporations in the global entertainment industry. So it's only natural that English became the primary language for making films. Of course, the films are often dubbed - but the best way to enjoy them is in the language in which they were produced.
4. ENGLISH IS EASY TO LEARN
This statement depends on who you are talking to. But it is widely recognized that English is not the most challenging language to deal with. The vocabulary is easy to remember and has references to many other languages. As a result, masters of other languages can easily understand where the English language concepts come from. Which reminds me of ...
5. ENGLISH IS RELATED TO MANY OTHER LANGUAGES
The English language has a long and fascinating history shaped by wars, invasions and influences from around the world. Cultures that helped shape modern English are the Romans, Vikings, and French. For this reason, English is a mixed language made up of Latin, Germanic and Romance elements.
6. YOU CAN SAY THINGS IN 100 DIFFERENT WAYS
One of the advantages of the English language is its flexibility: there are many different ways to explain the same thing because the vocabulary is so extensive. The English language is said to have more than 620,000 words (which again depends on how you count - some generous estimates make it up to 1 million words). And new ones are added every year (see point 8).
7. ENGLISH SOUNDS DIFFERENT EVERYWHERE
A current process in the development of the English language is the emergence of distinctive dialects in those countries where English is a mother tongue. Great Britain, Australia and the USA all have different ways of speaking and spelling, influenced by the cultural and historical events that shaped the development of each country.
8. ENGLISH IS REALLY FLEXIBLE
Non-English native speakers who later learn the language often notice how many different ways there are of expressing something. That's because English doesn't discriminate - you can use the language however you want. Countries like Singapore have taken this concept to heart and invented a completely new form of English called 'Singlish'. Singlish also includes aspects of other languages such as Chinese and Malay.
9. AND ENGLISH CONTINUES TO CHANGE
Selfie. Bae. Smasual. All of these words are new to the English language and yet already accepted members of the lexicon. More than any other language, English is evolving and picking up words that stand out in other languages. English is certainly the language that knows where to go.
My connection to English may be inherited, but there is a lot the language has to offer. No matter where in the world you may be. Plus, everyone should know what 'selfie' means by now, right?
Stay up to date
Stay up to date with the latest trends in travel, culture, language learning and education in our monthly newsletter. You can unsubscribe yourself anytime.
You are now registered and will hear from us soon.
Explore the world and learn languages abroadLearn more
- Requires the data science course GRE
- Why do I hate my niece
- What is the best online gaming site
- Means 25 million 25 million dollars
- How can I easily get out of the way of Fortnite players
- How is the standard of living in Malaysia
- How was your experience at TISS
- Are hi point pistols that bad?
- Which is more difficult to be happy or sad
- Why is respect earned
- Has anyone made money with travel partners?
- What's your middle name 3
- All legitimate websites that pay for reviews
- Is sex important in a relationship
- Why do US states allow early voting?
- Why don't Americans eat Asian carp
- What modern philosophies of life exist today
- Which presidents did not take a salary
- How safe are tanks
- What does MINISO mean in Japanese
- How does BPD devalue
- Are affiliate links allowed on LinkedIn?
- Believe in market efficiency
- What is truth theory