Agree that Trump is fat
US election: Joe Biden wins ++ Putin does not want to congratulate
Joe Biden can win the US election thriller. Donald Trump does not want to admit his defeat, there is support from Russia. All information about the US election 2020 in the news blog.
US election: will Donald Trump stay in the White House - or will Democrat Joe Biden move in?
Donald Trump vs. Joe Biden: The decision has been made.
In the past few weeks, the events before the 2020 US election roll over: US President Donald Trump had been infected with the corona virus, there was uncertainty about his actual state of health.
Donald Trump or Joe Biden?
Donald Trump infected with corona
The election campaign was bitter, the US is divided as it has not been for a long time. The Republican remains Donald Trump another four years president? Or will he be from the Democrat Joe Biden replaced? Now we are certain.
US election: Joe Biden or Donald Trump?
All information about the US election 2020 in the news blog:
Monday 9th November
Putin refuses to congratulate Joe Biden
To this day, Donald Trump does not acknowledge his electoral defeat. He is now getting support from Russia. In Moscow, people share Trump's view that the US election has not yet been decided. Head of state Vladimir Putin announced on Monday via a Kremlin spokesman that he wanted to wait for the official election result. After that, he would congratulate Joe Biden.
"We think it is right to wait until the results of the election are officially announced," said Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov.
Donald Trump wants to cover alleged election fraud with obituaries
Donald Trump continues to call for votes to be recounted in several US states. The accusation of electoral fraud is so far unfounded. But Trump does not even let the dead rest in order to stay in power. He wants to use obituary notices of deceased whose votes were allegedly counted.
Maas sees no more chance for Trump: "unpleasant aftermath"
Federal Foreign Minister Heiko Maas is calm about possible legal disputes over the outcome of the US presidential election. “Perhaps that is also very good if the courts confirm the election result at the end of the day. This once again increases the legitimacy of the elected president, ”said the SPD politician. "And then hopefully everyone will accept it at some point."
"Joe Biden will be the next President of the United States and we are very much looking forward to working with him," said Maas.
With Biden "many new opportunities" would arise for Germany, the Europeans and international cooperation as a whole, Maas said on Deutschlandfunk.
Joe Biden won the election thriller against Donald Trump and will 46th President of the United States. With the victory in the state of Pennsylvania, the Democrat reached the necessary 270 voters. In many states, people celebrate the election of the current incumbent.
Donald Trump does not want to recognize the result. According to a report by CNN, First Lady Melania Trump advised the president to admit defeat. Trump's sons Donald Junior and Eric, on the other hand, have urged Republicans and Trump supporters to publicly reject the results of the US election.
Formal recognition of defeat is necessary to free up funds for the transition process. Election winner Biden and his employees would have cleared the way to begin the transition process.
Friday November 6th
Joe Biden now also performs in Pennsylvania.
Has now Joe Biden Donald Trump overtaken in Georgia, as reported by the US television channel CNN. Accordingly, he has almost 1,000 votes more than Trump. It remains an incredibly exciting head-to-head race, in which Biden seems to be gradually asserting himself.
Joe Biden is getting closer to winning the US election:
- In Georgia (16 electorates) he was tied with Donald Trump that night, and according to initial reports, he has just overtaken him.
- In the particularly important state of Pennsylvania (20 electorates), he caught up with Biden significantly - Trump is still leading here. Pennsylvania is actually traditionally pro-Democrats, but the Republicans won the state over in the 2016 election.
- In Arizona (eleven electors) Trump moved closer to Biden - the state was already considered safe for the Democrats by some observers.
- According to most counts, Joe Biden currently has between 253 and 264 voters safe. Trump is therefore at 214. The candidate with 270 voters would have a majority.
It remains exciting, the counts after the US election are still going on. Meanwhile, Donald Trump caused irritation and horror among his own people. Once again he claimed victory at a press conference and spoke of fraud without having any clue.
External content from youtube.com is displayed here.
“If you count the legal votes, I win with ease. If you count the illegal votes, they can try to steal our election, ”said Trump. He announced that he would take legal action against the election results, especially in the states “where they are trying to steal the election. You are trying to manipulate an election. "
Moderator on Trump: "Fat Turtle"
It is "unbelievable to see how these postal votes are so one-sided." Several major US television stations stopped broadcasting the press conference at Trump's words. The two channels CNN and Fox showed the entire press conference. CNN presenter Anderson Cooper commented on Trump's appearance with drastic words: Trump behaves like a "fat turtle that lies on its back in the hot sun and waves its legs because it realizes that its time is over".
Republican members also sharply criticized the president. Many senators took a clear position against Trump. Republican Senator Marco Rubio wrote on Twitter: "The fact that it takes days to count legitimate votes is NOT a fraud."
Thursday 5th November
Protests, some of which were violent, broke out in several cities during the counting of votes in the United States. In Portland, Oregon, there were riots on Wednesday evening (local time) on the sidelines of a demonstration. Numerous people there demanded that every vote be counted. According to media reports, shop windows were destroyed. The police spoke of loaded guns and fireworks thrown at police officers. The National Guard had also been turned on.
US election: rioting in multiple cities
In New York City there were clashes between protesters and police officers, according to a report in the New York Times. The police reported that they had arrested more than 20 people who wanted to hijack a peaceful protest. Protests were also reported in Chicago and Philadelphia, and according to the newspaper, several hundred demonstrators blocked a federal highway in Minneapolis.
In Detroit, Michigan, a group of protesters gathered in front of a counting office and chanted, "Stop the count."
Also in Phoenix, Arizona, on Wednesday evening (local time), dozens of demonstrators, some of them armed, gathered in front of a government building where votes were counted.
An up-to-date overview of the distribution of votes in the most important countries:
- ARIZONA (11 votes):
- AP and Fox had already slammed the state into Biden early on election night. However, CNN reported Thursday that Trump was able to catch up as the count progressed. The mood in Arizona was tense. A large group of Trump supporters gathered in front of a government building where votes are counted on Thursday night. Several had guns with them, according to a CNN report.
- NEVADA (6 votes):
- The state in the west could bring the decision. Biden held a tight lead on Thursday night. If he got both Arizona and Nevada, he would have exactly 270 votes. New numbers were expected around 6:00 p.m. CET.
- PENNSYLVANIA (20 votes):
- In the state in the northeast, Trump initially led clearly. But Biden caught up the more absentee votes were counted. According to the results so far, the Democrat fared enormously better than the incumbent President of the Republicans among the postal voters in Pennsylvania. This could turn things around. A result is not expected until Friday.
- GEORGIA (16 votes):
- In the southeastern state, Trump was also clearly ahead at the beginning. By the night of Thursday, however, the lead shrank significantly. There were still votes pending from the metropolitan area around the capital Atlanta - traditionally more democratic area. So it could be very close. The authorities want to give an update around 4.30 p.m. CET.
- NORTH CAROLINA (15 votes):
- Things were getting tight in the east coast state too. Trump was still considered a slight favorite on Thursday night. Special feature: In North Carolina, postal votes are still counted that are received by November 12th - nine days after election day.
In the US, Joe Biden is now about to move into the White House after an unprecedented tremendous match. The Democratic challenger to President Donald Trump is only a few votes short of the required majority of 270 voters.
10 O `clock
On Thursday night, armed Trump supporters gathered in front of a building in Arizona where the votes were counted. Some of them are said to have carried automatic rifles, a correspondent for the news channel CNN reported.
Donald Trump is also trying to intervene in the state of Georgia in the counting of votes. He and the Republican Party filed a lawsuit in the state's Chatham County. The court should ensure a strict separation of postal voting documents in the district, which arrived after the end of the vote on Tuesday evening.
Joe Biden's lead is growing, most recently he was able to win Michigan for himself. Current status: 264 (Biden) to 214 electors (Trump) - for a majority, the votes of 270 electors are required.
- In Arizona, Biden leads with 50.7 percent ahead of Trump (47.9 percent).
- In Nevada, Biden is just ahead with 49.3 percent to 48.7 percent
- Meanwhile, Donald Trump's lead is dwindling in Georgia, where he is 49.8 percent to 49.0 percent ahead of Biden.
Donald Trump has meanwhile announced that the counts will be challenged.
Joe Biden wants the US to rejoin the Paris Agreement if he wins the US election. He wrote that on Twitter.
Joe Biden surprises with the announcement of the climate agreement
He wants to implement this on his first day in office. The US had just left the agreement at Donald Trump's instigation.
Wednesday 4th November
Joe Biden is confident: "Now, after a long night of counting, it is clear that we are winning enough states to get 270 votes," said Biden. Unlike Donald Trump, however, he emphasized that he was not yet claiming the victory for himself.
External content from youtube.com is displayed here.
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe election observers have reprimanded US President Donald Trump for attempting to disrupt the counting of votes in the presidential election. "After such a highly dynamic election campaign, it is a fundamental obligation of all parts of the government to ensure that every vote is counted," said the German Head of the OSCE Mission, Michael Link, on Wednesday evening in Washington when presenting an interim report. The counting of votes is still ongoing and should continue in accordance with US law and OSCE commitments, Link said.
"Nobody - no politician, no elected representative - should restrict the right of the people to vote."
Trump declared himself the winner on election night before all votes were counted and announced that he wanted the US Supreme Court to stop another count.
22 O `clock
Joe Biden wins in the embattled state of Wisconsin.
This is what it looks like now in the states where the choice could possibly be decided:
- Michigan (16 electors): Biden has overtaken Trump
- Pennsylvania (20 electors): Trump is ahead - but everything is still open here as many votes have not yet been counted
- Wisconsin (10 electors): Tie so far, but Biden has a wafer-thin lead
- Nevada (6 electors): Biden is just ahead
- Georgia (16 electors): Trump is narrowly leading
Joe Biden was apparently able to get a head start in Michigan - at least for now.
Joe Biden in front of Donald Trump
In the so-called “Popular Vote”, that is the total number of votes from all voters, Biden is clearly ahead and with more than 69.5 million votes, he achieved the highest “Popular Vote” value in US history. He even overtook Barack Obama, who received 69,498,516 votes in 2008. Stupid for Joe Biden: That doesn't help him, because the number says almost nothing about the outcome of the election, which is due to the electoral system in the USA.
External content from youtube.com is displayed here.
Overall, Joe Biden is a bit ahead at the moment - Donald Trump is just behind.
The count continues. Much now depends on three states: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. In 2016, all three states voted Republican. Everything is still open now. The candidate who wins two of the three states could well win the election.
Cybertruck: Elon Musk surprises with an answer
In Wisconsin, Joe Biden leads Donald Trump by a wafer-thin margin. Meanwhile, Donald Trump has announced that he wants to stop the counting of votes.
Industry President Dieter Kempf fears that the situation will escalate in view of the tremors in the US presidential election. "Confidence in American democracy is also extremely important for companies," said Kempf on Wednesday in Berlin.
Industry President on US election: "Hope the situation doesn't escalate"
"That is why it is our top priority that all votes are counted and the rightful winner is chosen."
A prolonged period of uncertainty would damage business confidence in the future. "We very much hope that the situation in the United States does not escalate and that everyone keeps a cool head."
The US politician Bernie Sanders had already provided an interesting analysis of the current situation in advance.
On the "Tonight Show" hosted by Jimmy Fallon, Sanders said he could imagine Donald Trump declaring himself the winner early.
“It is the case that, for whatever reason, democratic voters tend to be postal voters. Many votes have not yet been counted. ”Should there be any changes to the result to the disadvantage of Trump, he might say:“ You see, it is a fraud. ”
The fact that Donald Trump declared himself the election winner completely prematurely is mostly met with bewilderment in this country.
Trump's declaration of victory: Bernie Sanders with interesting analysis
FDP leader Christian Lindner, for example, was appalled. "It is a very critical, I would like to say a dismaying situation," said Lindner on Wednesday in the ZDF "Morgenmagazin".
"Everything that has been rumored to have been heard in the last few days has now tragically been confirmed," continues Lindner.
This heralds a "dramatic conflict situation" in American democracy. This could have unforeseeable consequences for the USA, but also for the rest of the world. “Of course, a situation arises in which the United States may not be able to act at all on the international level. They are then only concerned with themselves. "
Donald Trump declares himself the winner: "attack on democracy"
Left leader Bernd Riexinger has interpreted the first reaction of US President Donald Trump as an attack on democracy. “Trump has voiced his entire term in office about his contempt for democracy. His claim that the Democrats want to steal the election and his prematurely declared victory are another attack on the democratic system, ”said Riexinger on Wednesday.
At the AfD, however, Donald Trump's premature declaration of victory in the US election is considered to be rather unproblematic.
“That is perhaps more due to the excitement of the election,” said party leader Jörg Meuthen.
There is therefore no need to worry about the functioning of democracy in the USA. He himself is more cautious with such announcements, "and I've always done well with it so far."
Donald Trump has declared himself the winner of the US election.
"We won," said Trump in a press conference.
"You can no longer catch up with us," said Trump. "We're going to win Pennsylvania by an enormous number of votes."
At the same time, he was already talking about an “unbelievable fraud”. The Supreme Court will be approached about a false count of the ballot papers. What exactly he meant by that, Trump did not say - he remained vague in his statements.
Hispanic voters continued to grow. Contrary to what some experts believe, Donald Trump scored points with this group of voters, especially in Florida, and did better than in the US election four years ago.
It may have paid off for him to pursue a tough policy against Cuba: He has apparently attracted many former Cuban refugees in Florida to his side.
Presidential candidate Joe Biden won the US elections in the US states of Nebraska and Rhode Island. This gives him four electors. According to the US broadcaster Fox, Biden is also said to have prevailed in Arizona.
It's a head-to-head race: Currently, both Trump and Biden have won 209 electors.
However, enormous amounts of postal voting documents still have to be counted. The race is still open.
The influence of the economic consequences of the corona pandemic on the US election may have been misjudged by observers in advance.
When asked whether they personally had financial difficulties because of Corona, 56 percent of Trump supporters answered no, according to a survey, and 34 percent of Biden supporters. Only a few stated that they actually had economic problems due to Corona.
The transatlantic coordinator of the federal government, Peter Beyer, fears that a long hangover after the presidential election in the USA could lead to violent riots.
"If it takes until there is a final decision on the election winner, it is to be feared that there will be confrontations between the two camps on the streets," said the CDU politician.
“But I don't think that there will be a nationwide civil war-like situation.” There are no leaders and no organizations that could set something like this off ad hoc. "I think the scenario of a civil war is completely exaggerated."
Everything is still open in Pennsylvania. The result in the highly competitive state is likely to be decisive for the outcome of the election.
According to predictions from several television networks, Trump won Ohio.
Incident on the verge of the US election. Police arrested a man with a gun outside a polling station. The man continued to "hang around" in front of the polling station after casting his vote in the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, the local police wrote on Twitter.
US election: gunman intimidates voters
There was a call that the man could have intimidated other voters. He was then asked to leave the site. According to the police, the man came back to the polling station two hours later. He was arrested for trespassing on the premises. He legally had the firearm with him.
According to photos on social media and media reports, the man wore a cap that said "Trump 2020". In the run-up to the election, there had been concerns that Trump supporters could intimidate other voters. On election night, however, no major incidents were initially known.
The decision is likely to boil down to Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania in the Midwest and Arizona in the Southwest. There is reason for hope for the Democrats there based on initial counts. In Florida and Ohio, on the other hand, Trump is in the lead.
Both candidates continue to collect victories in states where they were clear favorites. In none of the 30 or so countries in which a winner has now been proclaimed, there has been no change of the victorious party compared to 2016.
First results and forecasts: Trump wins, according to media reports in Indiana and Kentucky, Biden in Vermont - no surprise. The results are eagerly awaited in the good dozen particularly competitive “Battleground States” that matter in this election.
Tuesday 3rd November
The television stations have a number of special programs in their programs for the US election.
US Election: When Can I Watch Election Night On TV?
- The First will broadcast the special program "America elects - who will be the next president?" on Tuesday (November 3rd) from 10:50 p.m. out. The moderation is Andreas Cichowicz. The ARD election team around Jörg Schönenborn presented the results of the individual states. ARD correspondents report live from many locations in the USA.
- TheZDF starts with the "ZDF special: America votes - Trump or Biden?" and the “ZDFzeit” documentary “Trump versus Biden - Fight for America” at 8.15 p.m. and 8.45 p.m. on Tuesday evening (November 3rd). From 0.15 a.m., Bettina Schausten welcomes the viewers to the seven-hour live broadcast. After that, at 7:00 am, the “ZDF morning magazine” takes over.
- Phoenix reports on the decision for more than 20 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday. The actual election reporting begins at 0.45 a.m. with the takeover of the US broadcaster CBS and switching talks to the US correspondents of ARD and ZDF. Ines Arland will be reporting on Wednesday morning from 9 a.m. in a special broadcast on the US election.
- Also RTL andntv accompany the night of the decision from 3rd to 4th November with extensive live reporting. A themed evening for voting begins at RTL at 8:15 p.m. From 3 a.m. on RTL and ntv will run the six-hour special election program “America chooses - Fight for the White House”, moderated by Peter Kloeppel and Gesa Eberl.
- 3 sat has the seven-hour special program “ZIB Spezial” in its program from midnight. "ZIB" is a format of the Austrian broadcaster ORF.
- Sat 1 broadcasts a “Sat.1 breakfast television XXL” on Wednesday morning from 4.30 a.m. to 11.00 a.m., two hours longer than usual.
- Arte shows the documentary “U $ A - The Dollar Democracy” on Tuesday evening at 8:15 pm. The film takes a look behind the scenes of US politics, in the Midwest as well as in the White House, among Democrats and Republicans. Lobby groups, corporations and billionaires finance the political business with millions.
- TheGerman wave reports on election night from 1:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Reporters in the USA and experts in the Berlin studio comment on the latest figures, plus there are analyzes and reactions from all over the world. Reports round off the program. The Washington office manager Ines Pohl and her team were on a “road trip” for six weeks.
A spicy detail on the day of the 2020 US election: of all people, Trump advisor and doctor Deborah Birx contradicts US President Donald Trump's corona policy on many points.
The now called on the US government to take more drastic measures in dealing with the corona pandemic in the US.
"We are entering the most worrying and deadly phase of this pandemic, which is leading to rising mortality," said the Washington Post in an internal report to the White House.
In view of the current situation, "much more aggressive measures" are necessary.
US election and Corona: Trump advisor contradicts Trump
Birx therefore expressly warns of major events such as Trump carried out in the election campaign with hundreds of participants. Contrary to what Trump claims, the increasing numbers of infections are not due to more tests. In many regions where the number of cases increased, no more or even less testing would be done.
The US health expert Anthony Fauci had also repeatedly warned of a dangerous development of the pandemic. "We have a lot of suffering ahead of us," he told the Washington Post. Trump hinted at a campaign appearance on Sunday that he would fire the scientist after re-election. Despite the significantly increasing number of infections, Trump repeatedly assured that the USA would soon be out of the woods in the corona crisis.
White House communications director Alyssa Farah denied that government action during the crisis was inadequate. She pointed out that the White House had "significantly increased" supplies of protective clothing and distributed 150 million coronavirus tests to the most vulnerable populations. "We are working around the clock to safely treat and ultimately defeat the virus," said Farah.
In the United States, more than 231,000 people have died in connection with the coronavirus - more than in any other country in the world. Almost 9.3 million people have become infected. According to the Johns Hopkins University, the USA is ahead of India and Brazil.
US election: result in first cities
The first decisions of the US presidential election have been made: The Democrat Joe Biden won the vote in the small town of Dixville Notch in New Hampshire with 5 to 0 votes against Donald Trump. In the neighboring town of Millsfield, the Republican Trump prevailed with 16 to 5 votes against Biden, as announced here shortly after midnight (local time) on a hand-written board.
Donald Trump loses to Joe Biden in small town
The polling station in Dixville Notch has opened at midnight on election day since 1960. With fewer than a dozen registered voters in the ski resort near the Canadian border, voting and counting are quick and easy. The result was already clear shortly after midnight (local time). US television stations broadcast the voting and counting live. In the 2016 election, the Democrat Hillary Clinton won 4-2 against Trump.
The fact that you can vote so early is thanks to a law in New Hampshire. It allows communities with fewer than 100 inhabitants to open their polling station at midnight, both in the primary elections and in the presidential election. The aim was to give railroad workers the opportunity to vote, put on their ears and then get to work on time. The results from the small towns did not always reflect who became president in the end.
This tradition also exists in Millsfield and Hart’s location. In Hart’s location, the midnight vote for this election was canceled due to the corona pandemic. The results from the villages in New Hampshire did not always reflect who actually became president in the end.
US election: what do Trump and Biden promise?
The promises made by Donald Trump and Joe Biden before the November 3rd election can actually be reduced to a simple formula: The president promises even more of the previous Trump policy - and his challenger usually the opposite. A look at the positions on key political issues:
- CORONAVIRUS: The positions of the candidates could hardly be more different when it comes to the now dominant issue for the election campaign and the USA as a whole. Donald Trump says again and again in his daily election campaign speeches that one will soon be over the mountain. He is relying on the rapid spread of vaccines and drugs such as remdesivir and the Regeneron antibody cocktail, with which he himself was treated as a Covid 19 patient. Experts warn that such a course could lead to high death rates: the vaccines should not be available to everyone in sufficient quantities until the spring, the Regeneron agent is still experimental. Meanwhile, Biden wants to enforce the widest possible use of masks by then. Although he can hardly legally stipulate this nationwide, he hopes to convince the governors. Biden is also planning more tests and an expansion of mask production in the USA.
- ECONOMY: Trump claims to have created “the largest economy in history”, including through lower taxes. "We made America rich again," he says, pointing to a surge in stock prices while many Americans still work two or three jobs to make ends meet. Trump promises further tax breaks for a second term in office. Biden, on the other hand, promises to ask citizens with particularly high incomes and companies to pay. "Anyone who earns less than $ 400,000 (around 342,000 euros) a year doesn't pay a cent more," promises Biden. The corporate tax, which was lowered by Trump, is to be increased from 21 to 28 percent.
- HEALTH CARE: Republicans have been fighting for years to overturn President Barack Obama's health care reform that brought health insurance to around 20 million Americans - but in some cases also increased payments. Trump continually promises his own health plan, which will be better and cheaper than the "terrible Obamacare" - but has still not presented it. Now is the time to come if the Supreme Court overturns Obama reform in the coming year. Meanwhile, Biden has announced plans to expand Obamacare, especially for low-wage earners.
- RACISM: Biden, who is popular with African Americans, makes it very clear that there is racism in the US that is anchored in the institutions. Among other things, he wanted to counteract this with a police reform and better economic conditions for blacks. Trump, on the other hand, denies systematic racism in the USA - and condemns the protest movement “Black Lives Matter” as a “socialist, Marxist organization”. At the same time, his government cut training courses against ethnic prejudice as "radical indoctrination". Trump wants to promote “patriotic education” to “teach children to love our country”.
- ENVIRONMENT: On a list of the White House with more than 50 achievements, Trump counts himself as benefiting from having withdrawn from the “job-destroying” Paris climate agreement. In the event of an election victory, Biden has announced that he will bring the US back into the agreement. In the second TV duel of the candidates, the Democrat also said that he wanted to lead the country out of dependence on fossil fuels in the long term and instead focus more on renewable energies - words that cost him votes in states with a strong oil and gas industry could. On his hit list, Trump advertises that oil production has reached an all-time high. His government extended the stop of offshore drilling around Florida, but at the same time allowed production in a nature reserve in Alaska. Trump says the US has the cleanest water and the purest air. Fact checkers deny that. On the forest fires in California, Trump said he thinks the climate will cool down again, "science doesn't know everything." Trump had to put up with the accusation that he did not know the difference between weather and climate.
- FOREIGN POLICY: Trump canceled the nuclear deal with Iran, intensified the confrontation with China, withdrew from Unesco and the World Health Organization, strained relations with NATO allies. This is the course that Trump wants to continue - and Biden would reverse it. Trump's foreign policy achievements include the decimation of the Islamic State (IS) terrorist militia, the far-reaching withdrawal of US troops from Iraq and Afghanistan - and that there was no war with North Korea. At the same time, these are all trouble spots that a President Biden would inherit.
- IMMIGRATION: Trump ran four years ago, among other things, with the promise to stop illegal immigration on the border with Mexico with a border fence. This is still being built. There are still big plans for a second term: Trump wants to end his predecessor Barack Obama's DACA program to legalize migrants who came to the United States as children - and throw millions of immigrants out of the country. So far, he has also had no success with his crackdown on cities that refuse to search for migrants who have entered the country illegally - this is still on the agenda. Biden's plan, on the other hand, is to open the way to citizenship for more people living in the United States without papers.
Monday 19th October
“Don't wait, vote today,” Joe Biden calls out to his supporters at a drive-in appearance in North Carolina. In fact, 30 million Americans voted two weeks before the US presidential election. According to the University of Florida election project, 27.7 million eligible voters cast their ballots in the mail or in person. That is a new record.
During his appearance, Biden again criticized incumbent Donald Trump for dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.According to Trump, "the US is over the mountain". Biden led the number of new cases, which are at the highest level for months.
"As my grandfather would say: 'The guy doesn't have all the cups in his cupboard anymore" when he thinks we're over the hill, "said the Democrat.
Saturday 17th October
Suburbia: The term belongs to the US election 2020. But what does it mean? Ever heard of Raleigh? A city that basically consists of a collection of suburbs. It's called classic suburbia. There are a disproportionately large number of voters there, who vacillate between Democrats and Republicans. That said, these places in the US tip the scales in the battle for the White House. Trump was now addressing suburban women in the suburbia, such as the swing states, which North Carolina is a part of. “Suburban women love me!” Shouted the US President. This group of voters is known for not having voted for Hillary Clinton at the time because they were disturbed by the didactic tone. Do you mind Donald Trump's infatuation now? Election researchers call the suburban women "Suburban Woman". Many have graduated from collage and have good jobs. According to the opinion polls, 55% of them currently favor Joe Biden. 41% would vote for Trump. It remains to be seen whether that will be enough.
Thursday October 15th
Is Donald Trump running out of time? Just under three weeks until the US presidential election. According to the polls, things are still not looking good for Trump. This prompts the US president to go to places he actually didn't want to travel to. Iowa is one of those places. On Wednesday evening he gave a speech at the Des Moines airport airfield. He encouraged his supporters and addressed a poll that found that he was ahead of the US state by six percentage points.
The authenticity of the said survey is in doubt. Because if these values were really that good, Donald Trump would probably not have set out on the journey. In 2016 he won Iowa by a margin of 9.5 percentage points. The agricultural state in the Midwest has long been considered a safe bank for Trump. But in the new polls he and Joe Biden are tied. The real reason Donald Trump traveled to Iowa?
In other US states, too, the polls are so unpleasant for Trump that he is forced to stop by in person.
Tuesday October 13th
If his first speech after his return from the hospital was still short, Donald Trump spoke to his supporters for a full hour. The US president is doing everything possible to nip in the bud any doubts about his recovery. In Florida, Donald Trump talked himself into a love frenzy.
"I feel so strong," said Trump on Monday evening (local time) in Sanford near Orlando. The 74-year-old emphasized again that he was now immune. “I'm going to kiss everyone in this audience. I will kiss the guys and the beautiful women (...). I'm just going to give you all a big, fat kiss. ”Florida is one of the potentially decisive states for the November 3rd presidential election.
His doctor Sean Conley had previously announced that several rapid corona tests on "consecutive days" had been negative for the 74-year-old. Trump shot Joe Biden on that occasion, claiming his Democratic opponent was trying to delay a vaccine and prolong the pandemic. In addition, Biden wants a "draconian, unscientific lockdown" for Florida.
Instead, Joe Biden wants to contain the corona pandemic with a national strategy and rely on the advice of scientists. He repeatedly emphasizes the importance of masks.
The pandemic is not under control in the US. In the last seven days, around 50,000 new infections were detected every day.
Monday October 12th
Donald Trump is pushing back into the US election campaign. Trump announces from the balcony of the White House: He is healthy and no longer contagious after being infected with the coronavirus. But there are doubts about this, because a negative corona test has not yet been published. Trump has not had a fever for "well over 24 hours", writes his personal physician Sean Conley. "All symptoms" have "improved", he supports Donald Trump.
Donald Trump's speech at the White House on Saturday was remarkably short. In just 18 minutes, he spoke to his followers. The incumbent US president is known to give lengthy speeches. His explanations often last over 60 minutes. Trump also promised again that the pandemic would soon be over. "She's going to go away and the vaccines will help and the remedies for treatment will help a lot," he said at the appearance. The "China virus" will be "defeated once and for all," he said optimistically.
Friday October 9th
In the US state of Michigan, investigators have thwarted plans for the kidnapping of the Democratic governor Gretchen Whitmer and a plot against the local government. The authorities arrested a total of 13 suspects. Whitmer indicated on Thursday (local time) that alleged extremists like the accused could feel motivated by statements by US President Donald Trump. The governor is one of the rising forces in the Democratic Party. Trump had severely criticized her several times.
Six of those arrested are now facing federal charges. In parallel, Michigan's Justice Department is pursuing charges from seven others. According to the Federal Police FBI, it was planned to kidnap Whitmer before the presidential election on November 3rd. A court document with reports from FBI investigators said one of the suspects said in late July that Whitmer could best be abducted when she arrived or left her private vacation home or summer residence.
The group then observed the holiday home in August and September. Apparently, she was considering detonating a bomb under a nearby bridge to prevent the police from intervening during the kidnapping, as the investigators further described. If convicted, suspects face life sentences. The arrests were made on Wednesday evening.
Whitmer said Thursday, “I knew this job was going to be tough. But to be honest, I could never have imagined something like that. " According to the prosecutor, the plans were uncovered with the help of informants, undercover agents and secret recordings of conversations. Prosecutor Andrew Birge described the suspects as "violent extremists".
At the beginning of the year, the FBI became aware on social networks that a group of people - including two of those arrested - had discussed the "violent overthrow of certain government and law enforcement components". In a phone call in mid-June, one of the suspects is said to have said he needed 200 men to storm the Capitol in the capital Lansing and take hostages, including the governor. Whitmer should then be tried for "treason".
The seven men against whom Michigan's Attorney General Dana Nessel is seeking indictment are said to be members of a militia called Wolverine Watchmen or to have had ties to the group. They are accused of trying to attack police officers and start a civil war.
Criticism from Trump about corona measures
Whitmer had imposed strict exit restrictions in the Corona crisis. That earned her a lot of praise, but also harsh criticism, including from Trump. For several weeks in a row, demonstrators marched in front of the Capitol and accused it of "tyranny". Trump expressed his support for the partly armed demonstrators and showed understanding that they wanted their lives back. "These are very good people, but they are angry," he said.
Armed demonstrators broke into the building during a May Day protest. Michigan is one of the US states that allow private individuals to openly carry firearms. Exceptions are places such as banks, places of worship, courts, hospitals or shops that sell alcohol - but not the parliament building.
Whitmer accused Trump of fueling anger in the corona crisis. «This should be a moment of national unity. Instead, our head of state has spent the past seven months denying science, ignoring his own health experts, instilling suspicion, inciting anger and giving comfort to those who spread fear and hatred and division, "she said. The court document does not indicate that the alleged extremists could have felt inspired by Trump.
The governess recalled that Trump refused to unequivocally condemn right-wing extremists in the TV duel against challenger Joe Biden last week. "When our leaders speak, their words have meaning, they have weight," she said. Trump then tweeted that Whitmer was making allegations against him instead of thanking government security forces for foiling the kidnapping.
Wednesday October 7th
Statements by US President Donald Trump to stop talks about another economic stimulus package spoiled the trading day for investors on the New York stock market on Tuesday. While they had hoped for a possibly timely agreement between Republicans and Democrats on another stimulus package, Trump, who had just returned from the hospital to the White House, drove them into the parade. Trump wants to put the talks on hold until after the US elections on November 3rd.
Trump: Why is he breaking off talks now of all times?
The standard values, which had initially increased their previous day's profits, then went down. The leading index Dow Jones Industrial closed with minus 1.34 percent to 27,772.76 points. The market-wide S&P 500 posted similarly high losses of 1.40 percent to 3360.97 points. For the technology-heavy Nasdaq 100, which had just worked its way up shortly before the Trump announcement, it was 1.89 percent at the end of the day downhill to 11,291.27 points.
It is questionable why Donald Trump is suddenly putting talks about the stimulus package on hold right now. After all: In the middle of the corona crisis, a lack of cash injections can mean mass layoffs in the USA. That could cost the Republicans a considerable number of votes.
The action met with incomprehension from many observers. The latent economic upswing that the USA had before the corona crisis is one of Trump's main trump cards in the election campaign. He should have gambled that away for the time being.
Tuesday October 6th
According to the Frankfurt virologist Sandra Ciesek, the treatment of US President Donald Trump is unusual, making it difficult to assess the course of the disease. "Ultimately, it remains totally difficult to assess what his real condition is, simply because crucial information for the clinician is missing," she said on the NDR podcast "Coronavirus Update" on Tuesday. Above all, one crucial piece of information is missing: when Trump became infected with the corona virus.
Donald Trump: Corona drugs for severe course
Some of the medications that his doctors said he was given were for a severe course, even though he was supposedly always fine. Others are more likely to be given in the late phase, although it was probably only in the first week of illness. Some things don't go together. "All in all, one has to say that the therapy he receives is already very extensive and not necessarily the" standard of care ", I would say," says Ciesek.
Covid-19 is still incurable, drugs can only weaken a severe course or accelerate recovery. Remdesivir, which Trump also got, was developed for other diseases and "not perfect for Sars-CoV-2," said Ciesek. "If you think of it as a lock-and-key principle, I would say: the key fits, but if you want to turn it, it is quite a problem," said the director of the Institute for Medical Virology at the Frankfurt University Hospital. "We need drugs that are made according to the lock and key principle."
Monday 5th October
Despite his infection with the corona virus, US President Donald Trump briefly left the hospital and was cheered by supporters while driving in an armored car. The White House defended the action on Sunday (local time) against criticism that the protection of the other people in the car had been neglected. Regarding the president's safety, White House spokesman Judd Deere stated, "The move has been deemed safe by the medical team."
Donald Trump: Corona infection announced on Friday
Trump's corona infection became known shortly after midnight US East Coast time on Friday. It can be assumed that it could still be contagious. According to US media reports, Trump was sitting with two Secret Service employees in the armored car with which he was driven past the fans in front of the Walter Reed Military Hospital near Washington. The photos showed that the passenger appeared to be wearing a plastic visor over his face, a respirator and a medical protective suit. Trump only wore a cloth mask.
In a video message posted on Twitter immediately before the trip, Trump said: "We're getting great reports from the doctors." He praised his followers in front of the clinic as "great patriots" and described his illness as an instructive experience. «It was an interesting trip. I learned a lot about Covid. "
Trump: contradicting statements about the state of health
After the 74-year-old was brought to the hospital north of the US capital by helicopter on Friday evening (local time) - less than 24 hours after his positive corona test - there were contradicting information about his health. On Sunday, the doctors finally admitted that the course of the disease was more severe than initially presented. Nevertheless, the doctor Brian Garibaldi promised an early discharge from the clinic. If Trump continues to do as well as he did on Sunday, "we hope that we can plan tomorrow for a discharge to the White House". Treatment could then be continued there.
Trump's personal physician Sean Conley said the president's oxygen levels fell twice. Late on Friday morning, Trump had a high fever and the oxygen saturation in his blood had dropped below 94 percent. The president was therefore given additional oxygen. On Saturday, Trump's oxygen saturation fell again to around 93 percent. If the lungs are attacked in a Covid 19 disease, the body is less well supplied with oxygen.
Because of the temporary drop in oxygen, doctors gave Trump the steroid dexamethasone. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends the active ingredient in the treatment of seriously ill patients. However, she does not recommend that patients with a mild course be treated with active ingredients from the group of corticosteroids.
Doctor Sean Dooley said Trump was fever free. All values are stable. Trump received his second infusion of the drug Remdesivir on Saturday without complications - this preparation inhibits an enzyme in the viruses that is necessary for them to multiply. Conley had promised five days of treatment with the drug.
Doctors: Cautiously optimistic
On Saturday night, Conley said the doctors were cautiously optimistic. Trump is not yet over the mountain. Trump has spoken several times with video messages since his positive test result. The White House also circulated photos of the president that appeared to show him at work.
After Trump's infection, numerous infections became known in his environment. Trump's campaign leader Bill Stepien also tested positive for the virus. A month before the November 3 presidential election, the Republican's face-to-face appearances have been canceled until further notice. Trump's challenger, Democrat Joe Biden (77), is still on the way. His team announced on Sunday that Biden had again tested negative for the corona virus.
After the president was infected, the focus was particularly on an event in the White House: Trump's introduction of the conservative lawyer Amy Coney Barrett as a candidate for the vacant judge's post at the Supreme Court than 100 people gathered. Few of them wore masks or kept their distance. Some hugged or shook hands. Corona tests have since been positive for at least eight participants.
In the state of New Jersey, after the Trump events on Thursday, extensive contacts are being traced. The White House has given the authorities more than 200 names of people who attended two President's events last Thursday, the state's health department wrote on Twitter on Sunday. Trump had met supporters and donors in his golf club, according to media reports, sometimes in closed rooms.
It's not clear when Trump was last tested negative and when exactly he first got a positive test result. His spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany gave no clear information on Sunday, according to journalists in the White House.
The "Wall Street Journal" reported that Trump kept the result of a first positive rapid test on Thursday to himself. He had already known it at the time of a television interview in which he only confirmed the infection of a close adviser. The result of the rapid test prompted another test in accordance with the specifications in the White House, which was also positive. Rapid tests are considered less reliable than laboratory tests.
A contribution by:
Peter Sieben is content manager and responsible editor for ingenieur.de. After an internship at the Funke media group, he worked as an editor and reporter in various departments. He writes about technology, research and career topics.
Sarah Janczura is content manager and responsible editor for ingenieur.de. After an internship with a focus on social media, she worked as an online editor in a digital agency. She writes about technology, research and career topics.
- How do I look for a job in India
- Dark matter attracts other normal matter
- Why is Fortnite tough on new players
- What is voltage drop
- What is fuck you money
- Where or when are you most creative
- When will Netflix be available in Singapore?
- Why don't psychopaths seek professional help?
- How does white noise help a baby
- Are affiliate links allowed on LinkedIn?
- NASA sent an animal to Mars
- What is Randomized PCA
- Refugees obtain citizenship in Canada
- At what age should we start working?
- NDTV is funded by Anti-India Agencies
- What does 1 king 13 really mean?
- Why sleeping late increases the risk of cancer
- What are the useful forums in Malaysia
- Why don't strong countries help Malaysia
- What are the most beautiful video games
- If cleaning a carpet damages it
- What do intuition and intuition mean
- How did your first relationship feel?
- How does a real estate website work