How can parsley be eaten
To water: Parsley grows best in moist soil. On hot summer days you have to make sure that the soil always remains moist. It is best to water in the evening hours. Under no circumstances should waterlogging develop. It is best to use your finger to check whether the soil under the top layer is still moist. If so, you don't have to pour yet.
Fertilize: It is beneficial if some compost is mixed into the soil or some vegetable or herb fertilizer is added during the year. Do not add the fertilizer until the parsley has grown approx. 20 cm. The parsley is biennial - if you want it to grow in the following year, you should always fertilize the soil a little.
Maintenance: If the plant wilts, you can simply cut off the dry leafy green. If the leaves turn yellow, the cause could be a location that is too sunny, waterlogging, or pests.
Harvest: Parsley in the pot can be harvested all year round. Outdoors, it's best to harvest between March and September and wait for the stems to have at least three pairs of leaves. Always cut the parsley at the bottom of the stem. This stimulates growth.
Overwinter: Parsley is hardy and hardly needs any care in the winter months. The plant is two years old, so it should only be overwintered once. In the second year the aroma is slightly weaker.
This is how parsley is dried
Fresh parsley only lasts a few days, while dried parsley can last up to a year. There are several ways to dry fresh parsley. With all variants, the parsley should be washed and dried well beforehand.
You can either lay the parsley on a baking sheet and let it air dry, or you can tie a bundle and hang it upside down. Make sure that the bundle is not tied too tightly so that the parsley still gets enough air. It is best to dry the parsley in rooms with low humidity, such as B. in the pantry. The drier and warmer the place, the faster the process. The parsley is dry when it crumbles easily in your fingers.
The advantage of drying in the oven is that the parsley bundle cannot collect dust. In addition, the process is faster. To do this, separate the parsley leaves from the stems. Now the oven is preheated to 30 degrees and the parsley is laid out on baking paper. Now slide the baking sheet into the oven on the middle rack. The process can take up to 5 hours, so check it from time to time and open the oven door in between so that the moisture can escape.
To gently dry parsley in the dehydrator, first remove the stems and then put the leaves in your dehydrator at a temperature of 40 ° C. The process can take 2 to 4 hours, depending on the device.
When the parsley leaves are completely dry, you can crumble them and put them in an airtight container. The parsley should be stored in a cool place and used within a month. As the aroma becomes weaker over time, it is advisable to freeze the parsley - this will keep the aroma the longest!
This is how parsley is frozen
If parsley is frozen, most of its vitamins and minerals are retained. To do this, the parsley is washed, dried well and cut into small pieces. Then put the parsley in a sealable container. Alternatively, you can put the parsley in ice cube trays and fill up with water. The parsley ice cubes are particularly useful for refining soups or sauces.
Buy parsley - what should be considered?
If you don't want to plant parsley yourself, you can buy it as a potted plant, freshly cut, frozen or as a powder. With parsley in a pot or freshly cut, you should make sure that the leaves look green and juicy.
When buying parsley and other herbs, it is important to pay attention to the origin. If possible, buy them from your region in order to avoid long transport routes. This way you protect the environment and the herbs are fresher.
You can find seeds from all manufacturers in a wide variety of variants, looks and tastes. Here you can read about what to look out for when buying seeds: Seeds: variety instead of simplicity!
Parsley: organic or not?
In 2012, Stiftung Warentest examined six types of herbs - including parsley - for around 500 pesticides. In the test, the pesticide contamination of parsley from conventional cultivation was classified as low. There was only one outlier that showed significant exposure. Significantly polluted means that at least one of the 500 pesticides has more than half of the permitted maximum level (21).
The organic parsley, on the other hand, was not at all contaminated. Across all of the herbs tested, the organic herbs were generally less contaminated than conventional herbs. However, the residue levels in the organic herbs do not necessarily mean that they have been treated with pesticides. They may also have come into contact with pesticides through the air (21).
Parsley always goes well - for breakfast, lunch and dinner
If you want to benefit from the positive effects of the medicinal herb, you should eat more parsley from now on! Therefore, we give you a few suggestions below on how you can integrate parsley into your everyday life:
- Chew the parsley with relish, for example instead of chewing gum. This helps against bad breath and unpleasant body odors.
- Juice the parsley and mix the juice with a mild vegetable or fruit juice, such as B. carrot, beetroot or apple juice
- Add parsley to your smoothie. You can find delicious and nutritious drinks with parsley here: parsley-citrus fruit smoothie, smoothie made from parsley and apples, green smoothie
- Parsley goes well with sauces, soups, dips, pestos and spreads. You can find recipe ideas e.g. B. here: herbal cream soup, parsley-hemp-chickpea pesto, parsley-basil pesto
- Parsley as a spice can spice up almost any food and give you an extra helping of nutrients. Fresh parsley should only be added at the end, while dried parsley can cook longer.
- And how about parsley tea? Simply pour one to two teaspoons of parsley leaves with boiling water and let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- You can find many recipes with parsley at the link below.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- (1) Naehrwertrechner.de, fresh parsley leaf, Naehrwertrechner.de, as of June 9th, 2020.
- (2) Sophie Schöninger, Vitamin K, Apotheken Umschau, as of 09/21/2012.
- (3) Mohammad Hosein Farzaei, Zahra Abbasabadi, Mohammad Reza Shams Ardekani, Roja Rahimi, Fatemeh Farzaei, "Parsley: a review of ethnopharmacology, phytochemistry and biological activities", Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2013, Volume 33, Issue 6: 815 -826.
- (4) Nielsen, S., Young, J., Daneshvar, B., Lauridsen, S., Knuthsen, P., Sandström, B., & Dragsted, L. (1999). Effect of parsley (Petroselinum crispum) intake on urinary apigenin excretion, blood antioxidant enzymes and biomarkers for oxidative stress in human subjects. British Journal of Nutrition, 81 (6), 447-455.
- (5) Abdullahi, M.S., Toxic effects of lead in humans: an overview, Global Advanced Research Journal of Environmental Science and Toxicology (GARJEST) Vol. 2 (6) pp. 157-162, 2013.
- (6) Uchikawa T, Kumamoto Y, Maruyama I, Kumamoto S, Ando Y, Yasutake A. Enhanced elimination of tissue methylmercury in Parachlorella beijerinckii-fed mice. J Toxicol Sci. 2011; 36 (1): 121-126.
- (7) Morita K, Ogata M, Hasegawa T. Chlorophyll derived from Chlorella inhibits dioxin absorption from the gastrointestinal tract and accelerates dioxin excretion in rats. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2001 Mar; 109 (3): 289-294.
- (8) Simonich MT et al., Natural chlorophyll inhibits aflatoxin B1-induced multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rat. Carcinogenesis. 2007 Jun; 28 (6).
- (9) Kreydiyyeh SI, Usta J. Diuretic effect and mechanism of action of parsley. J Ethnopharmacol. 2002; 79 (3).
- (10) Al-Yousofy, F., Gumaih, H., Ibrahim, H., & Alasbahy, A. (2017). Parsley! Mechanism as antiurolithiasis remedy. American journal of clinical and experimental urology, 5 (3), 55-62.
- (11) Roche Germany: Diet during Dialysis - Potassium, Roche, as of May 25, 2020.
- (12) Editing Nutrition Review, Secondary Plant Substances: Flavonoids - Favorable Effect on the Sugar Metabolism of Liver Cells, Nutrition Review, as of October 14, 2014.
- (13) Bumke-Vogt C, Osterhoff MA, Borchert A et al. (2014) The flavones Apigenin and Luteolin induce FOXO1 translocation but inhibit gluconeogenic and lipogenic gene expression in human cells. PLOS ONE 9 (8): e104321.
- (14) Shankar E, Goel A, Gupta K, Gupta S. Plant flavone apigenin: An emerging anticancer agent. Curr Pharmacol Rep. 2017; 3 (6): 423‐446.
- (15) Yan, Xiaohui et al. "Apigenin in cancer therapy: anti-cancer effects and mechanisms of action." Cell & bioscience vol. 7 50. 5 Oct. 2017.
- (16) Esposito K, Ciotola M, Giugliano F, De Sio M, Giugliano G, D’Armiento M. Mediterranean diet improves erectile function in subjects with the metabolic syndrome. Int J Impot Res 2006; 18: 405-10.
- (17) Esposito K, Giugliano F, Maiorino MI, Giugliano D. Dietary factors, Mediterranean diet and erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 2338-45.
- (18) Aedín Cassidy, Mary Franz, Eric B Rimm, Dietary flavonoid intake and incidence of erectile dysfunction, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 103, Issue 2, February 2016, Pages 534-541.
- (19) Monawara Begum, Sumit Das, H. K. Sharma, Menstrual Disorders: Causes and Natural Remedies, Journal of Pharmaceutical, Chemical and Biological Sciences, June-August 2016; 4 (2): 307-320.
- (20) Awe EO, Banjoko SO. Biochemical and haematological assessment of toxic effects of the leaf ethanol extract of Petroselinum crispum (Mill) Nyman ex A.W. Hill (Parsley) in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013; 13:75.
- (21) Stiftung Warentest, pesticides in herbs, In the green area, Stiftung Warentest test.de, as of April 26, 2012
- (22) Nirumand MC, Hajialyani M, Rahimi R, et al. Dietary Plants for the Prevention and Management of Kidney Stones: Preclinical and Clinical Evidence and Molecular Mechanisms. Int J Mol Sci. 2018; 19 (3): 765. Published 2018 Mar 7. doi: 10.3390 / ijms19030765
- (23) Dr. Schweikart, Oxalic Acid & Health, Oxalic Acid Content of Food, accessed on June 13, 2020
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- What are the top dating apps
- How clean were old Roman swimming pools
- How does it affect our health?
- Are Trump's plans beneficial to American workers?
- Unemployment has fallen under Trump
- Is it okay to be straightforward at times
- Is it harmful to drink too much water?
- Are kidney and heart disease related
- Can I rob a gun shop?
- What are the disadvantages of the cloud architecture
- What do sex workers ask for
- Why do people have little thoughts
- How dangerous is overpopulation
- How does the Dyson fan work
- How did the Roman emperor Domitian die?
- Is Thailand a third world country
- Which items can Amazon ship to Ghana
- How serious is the binge eating disorder
- Can breed mule deer and white tailed deer
- How do you rate a crypto currency
- What is an introverted personality
- What is the right way to eat sashimi
- What information do business cards contain
- Are time travel paradoxes real