Has the British Navy ever been weak
World War II: The largest battleship sank after six minutes
The "HMS Hood" was not only a ship, but also a symbol. Since her commissioning in 1920 she has been considered the largest warship in the world, stood for the fighting strength and fame of the British Royal Navy and thus for the power of the Empire that ruled the sea. All the greater was the shock caused by terrible news in the English public at the end of May 1941: After an artillery duel with the German battleship “Bismarck” that lasted only a few minutes, the “Hood” had exploded on Denmark Street. Only three of the 1,418 crew members survived the disaster.
In order to maintain the tradition of the Royal Navy, something else was added: The “Hood” was laid down in 1916 as the type ship of a new class of super battle cruisers. They were supposed to make up for the losses suffered by the British battlecruisers against their German counterparts in the Skagerrak battle.
One of the ships sunk at the time was the "Invincible", the flagship of Admiral Horace Hood. His widow had been given the honor of baptizing the "Hood", albeit not in the name of her husband, but in that of a distant relative, Admiral Samuel Hood, a naval hero of the 18th century. The fact that the "Hood" went down almost to the day 25 years after the meeting in the Skagerrak in the fight against a German warship seemed to be a worse omen for many Britons than the setbacks against Hitler's Wehrmacht.
The downfall of the mighty "Hood"
- Eats garlic bad for vegetarians
- Vegetarians secretly crave meat
- Why is steam wet
- Humans are the stupidest species
- How can i learn to speak english
- Malaysia What is Malaysia
- How does a mobile app work
- Where do Internet Service Providers get the Internet from
- What is book publisher
- Is PETG microwave safe
- B2B strategies in e-commerce
- Why is FAQ important
- What is phase space in molecular dynamics
- How safe is Israel to travel
- What's the easiest hack
- When is a nurse sued?
- Can I make money with penny stocks?
- How do you identify a company name
- What is 20 2 18 6
- What is the rarest nerf gun
- What is social media and networking
- Singapore still bans chewing gum
- Why would you answer every request
- What causes obesity overweight