Is there a secure WordPress host
WordPress hosting 2021: the 3 best providers in comparison
Finding the right WordPress hosting can be frustrating.
I speak from experience…
Because in the 9 years that I have been working with WordPress, I have already tried over 50 (!) Different hosting providers for large and small web projects.
I have had positive, but also a lot of negative experiences.
And in this comparison I would like to share these experiences with you!
You will find out in detail:
- The 3 German WordPress hosters that I can unconditionally recommend
- The best hosting tariffs for different application scenarios (small websites, WooCommerce, affiliate sites, etc.)
- What a good WordPress hoster really needs
So that you too can find the best WordPress hosting for your blog or website!
But without trying dozens of providers and burning your money (like me).
1. Why choosing the right hosting is so important
Providers with whom you can host a WordPress website are a dime a dozen.
However, if you compare more closely, there are big differences in price, performance, performance and support.
A change of web host can reduce the loading time of your website. B. improve significantly. This makes your website more user-friendly and ensures a better Google ranking.
Choosing the right host can also save a lot of money. And avoid stress through competent and fast support.
The first or cheapest choice is not always the best!
Mass hosts like Strato, DomainFactory or HostEurope lure with great offers. With slow loading times, expensive additional services or unreliable hosting, you end up paying more.
It doesn't have to be.
2. The 3 best WordPress hosts 2020
So far, I have had the best experiences with the following three German hosting providers.
I have been a satisfied customer of all hosters for at least 3 years and have two or more active projects there.
They also did above average in my large web hosting comparison in 2021.
Does that sound good?
Then let's start with the WordPress host that I recommend for beginners:
I have been a webgo customer myself since January 2017 and have been very satisfied with it so far.
I currently have 5 smaller WordPress websites on webgo, such as B. my tablet blog tabletcommunity.de or Neles stamp blog.
Web hosting at webgo is very reliable. So far, I've only had one server outage with my websites briefly offline.
Thanks to a combination of the server software Apache and nginx, the loading times are also excellent. In my web hosting comparison, webgo performed above average in the speed tests and was mostly able to secure top positions.
The prices are also fair and the web hosting packages are modern (PHP 7.4, http / 2, Let's Encrypt, etc.).
The customer service reacts quickly and (mostly) competently to inquiries. Cancellations, adding domains, concluding the AV contract or tariff upgrades can be done conveniently via the customer portal.
- fair prices
- Let's Encrypt included for free (except in the starter tariffs)
- guaranteed RAM
- fast support via email, phone or chat
- very good loading times and availability
- the first 6 months free of charge
- Domains included in every hosting package
- external domains can be switched off easily and at no additional cost (not a matter of course with German hosters)
- Own e-mail accounts at no additional cost
- large selection of scripts and server settings
- 1-click installer for WordPress, Joomla and Co.
- Databases on SSD hard drives
- Cancellation and conclusion of an AV contract can be conveniently online
- Clear contract overview and simple ordering process
- Server location Germany
- http / 2
- IP logging can be switched off
- Confusing tariff selection
- Outdated user interface at the webgo webspace admin
- 1-Click-Installer sometimes does not have the latest WordPress version
I mainly use RAIDBOXES for larger projects where high availability, lightning-fast support and performance are important to me.
Blogmojo and Faminino are currently hosted there and I couldn't be happier.
RAIDBOXES is also a good choice for beginners who want to deal less with technology and administration and are willing to pay a little more for them:
The RAIDBOXES hosting packages, also known as boxes, are specially optimized for the use of WordPress. The WordPress installation is already pre-installed and configured on each box (so-called Managed WordPress hosting).
RAIDBOXES automatically creates daily backups that can be easily imported via the dashboard. You can also do without a security plug-in, because the WordPress installation is well sealed off against hacker attacks by RAIDBOXES.
By using vServers, SSD hard drives and nginx as web server software, my websites achieve above-average loading times.
This has also been confirmed in performance tests. Here z. B. the loading time of different hosters with Pingdom Tools:
In addition, the boxes at RAIDBOXES are well equipped against storms of visitors and are stable under high server loads:
On May 24, 2018, for example, I had a rush of visitors to Blogmojo with 22,500 page views, which my box in the STARTER tariff easily took part. Without noticeable loss of performance in the WordPress dashboard or in the front end!
The customer service is also great. Very friendly, competent and fast.
If you want to know more about RAIDBOXES, then read my detailed test report.
- Very easy operation and installation
- Top loading times thanks to super-fast server-side caching
- Staging (allows you to test changes to the design without being seen on your live website)
- No caching plugin required
- Automatic daily backups
- Secured WordPress installation
- PHP 7.1 to 7.4
- http / 2
- Server location Germany
- Free SSL certificate via Let's Encrypt
- Switch from http to https at the push of a button (URLs are automatically converted in the database)
- Various advanced security settings (security header, single sign-on, XML-RPC blocker, etc.)
- Fast and very nice support
- The boxes can be canceled on a monthly basis
- Boxes can be tested for 14 days free of charge (4 days from the PRO tariff)
- no exec () allowed, so you can no longer use plugins like the EWWW Image Optimizer (only with API)
- wp-config.php and other WordPress system files cannot be edited (you can, however, make special entries via the box settings, e.g. to restrict post-revisions)
- no domain included
- E-mail inbox costs extra
- Doesn't support multisites yet (change is in sight, the multisite feature is already in beta)
I have been a customer at ALL-INKL myself since 2014 and so far have only few negative reports. Similar to webgo, I use it for my small and medium-sized websites, while my main projects are with raidboxes.
The hosting packages are great value for money and include:
- several inclusive domains (not only .de, but also .com and .net domains!)
- lots of storage space
- lots of mailboxes, enough MySQL databases and subdomains
- Free SSL certificates via Let's Encrypt (except in the tariff Privatewhich is why I absolutely have to PrivatPlus or higher rate)
- The possibility to activate external domains without additional costs (which is unfortunately not a matter of course).
So ideal to host one or more WordPress websites!
ALL-INKL was also able to convince in a performance comparison and offers important speed-relevant features such as http / 2, OPCache and the latest PHP version 8.0.
Good support, a good average customer rating and fair contractual conditions round off the positive overall picture.
You can get over the fact that you only get HDD instead of SSD hard drives, the customer area is a bit complicated and old-fashioned and the uptime could be a bit better.
- very good CPU and MySQL performance
- the first 3 months free of charge
- external domains can be activated easily and at no additional cost
- Any number of free SSL certificates via Let's Encrypt
- Not only .de domains, but also .com, .org, .info domains included
- IP logging can be switched off
- Always current PHP versions available (PHP 7.4)
- Discount for longer periods possible (up to 20% for 3 years)
- No minimum contract period
- Email boxes included in all packages
- Easy and quick creation of new mailboxes, domains, subdomains, SSL certificates etc.
- Experience has shown that technical administration and contract management are very reliable
- Long support times
- Server location Germany
- Uptime could be a little better
- Technical administration (KAS) and contract administration (MembersArea) are old-fashioned and not optimized for mobile use
- no nginx, not even as a proxy
- no SSD hard drives
- no support via live chat
3. Which hosting plan is best for me?
It's stupid to pay for more than you really need.
But it is just as stupid to pay too little and to have slow loading times or downtimes due to a weak server.
That's why I've selected hosting tariffs for different page view numbers. Please note that these are guidelines. How much your server is loaded also depends on other factors, such as B .:
- Number of installed plugins
- Type of installed plugins (eCommerce, membership or forum plugins can eat up resources)
- Number of your WordPress installations
- Number of posts
- Cron jobs
- PHP error
3.1 hosting for beginners and small websites
For beginners and smaller websites that get up to 2,000 page views a day, I recommend the so-calledShared hosting.
There you share a server and its resources with other customers:
- RAIDBOXES MINI (ideal for a single website)
- webgo CMS Pro (very good price-performance ratio and also suitable for several websites)
3.2 Hosting for medium sized websites
For websites or blogs with 2,000 to 7,000 page views a day, I recommend either one larger shared hosting package, where you share a server with fewer customers, or a vServer.
With a VPS you also share a server with other customers, but you have permanently assigned server resources. That means you will not be negatively influenced by the overuse of other customers:
- RAIDBOXES STARTER (vServer)
- webgo CMS Power SDD (mixture of vServer and shared hosting)
- ALL-INCL Premium
3.3 hosting for large websites and online stores
For websites or blogs with more than 7,000 page views a day or for an online shop, it is best to use your own server, a so-called Dedicated server, or one large VPS change.
With dedicated servers you always have two options: Managed server or Root server. With the former, the server software is looked after by the host, with the latter you have to take care of it yourself.
If you have no idea about server administration, I would always recommend a managed server. Because getting the maximum performance out of a server and protecting it against attacks requires a lot of time and specialist knowledge.
- RAIDBOXES PRO (and subsequent tariffs, such as PRO XL, BUSINESS etc.)
- webgo Managed SSD vServer
- webgo Managed Dedicated Server
3.4 Hosting for Affiliates, Web Designers and Agencies
As an affiliate, do you run many niche sites or do you look after the websites of many customers as a web designer or agency?
Then a solution is needed that can host many websites at once without sacrificing performance.
I recommend either a bulk tariff from RAIDBOXES or a large vServer or dedicated server:
- RAIDBOXES Webdesigner S (and other bulk tariffs such as Webdesigner, Agentur and Agentur XL)
- webgo Managed SSD vServer
- webgo Managed Dedicated Server
4. What should a good WordPress hoster offer?
Your web host should meet certain criteria so that your WordPress website runs as quickly and error-free as possible, you have as little stress as possible and you are on the safe side in terms of data protection law.
The three web hosts I trust, webgo, all-inkl.com and RAIDBOXES naturally meet all of the criteria listed.
4.1 Order processing contract (AVV)
Hosting providers are contract processors according to Art. 28 GDPR. Accordingly, in order to be on the safe side in terms of data protection law, you should conclude an order processing contract (also called AV contract or AVV) with your hoster.
The conclusion of a contract should ideally be possible online and with just a few clicks. You can find a selection of different WordPress hosts that offer AV contracts in my list of AV contracts.
4.2 Free SSL Certificate
An SSL certificate is now mandatory for every website. Not only for data protection reasons, but also because ...
- Browsers such as Firefox or Chrome do not use encrypted connections to websites as not sure brand.
- HTTPS offers ranking advantages on Google.
- your website can then benefit from HTTP / 2, which improves your load time.
Since the end of 2015, hosters have been able to use Let’s Encrypt to automatically issue SSL certificates to their customers free of charge.
With webgo this is easily possible via the webspace admin:
With RAIDBOXES, the whole thing is even more convenient. All you have to do is flip a switch:
If a hoster has not integrated this, you have to reckon with 3 to 10 € additional monthly costs per domain. It doesn't have to be.
4.3 Server location in Germany (or at least in the EU)
In terms of data protection law, it is by far the safest if the servers of your host are in Germany. The second most secure location is within the EU, as the same high level of data protection applies there thanks to the GDPR.
As far as loading time is concerned, the data center of your WordPress host should be as close as possible to the location of your visitors. Otherwise the charging time will be longer due to the longer cable path.
If most of your visitors come from Germany, your server should also be in Germany (or possibly in a neighboring country such as Austria or the Netherlands).
4.4 SSD hard drives instead of HDDs
SSD hard drives not only have faster access times than HDDs, they can also perform more I / O per second (IOPS).
This is also reflected in the loading time and the load stability of your website. Above all, MySQL databases should be on SSD hard drives.
4.5 Enough hard drive space
Image galleries, videos or some WordPress plugins take up a lot of storage space.
I recommend at least 2 GB of hard drive space per WordPress installation, better still 5 GB.
If you use your web space as an email inbox at the same time, then I would even recommend 10 GB per website.
4.6 At least PHP 7.x
Good hosting for WordPress should offer at least PHP 7.x.
Because WordPress runs up to three times as fast as with PHP 5.6!
According to a study by the American WordPress host Kinsta, the latest PHP version 7.4 comes up with a whopping 313 requests / second, while PHP 5.6 only manages around 98:
4.7 The correct PHP settings
In addition to the PHP version, the correct PHP settings are also important for the performance of your WordPress website. Pay attention to the following:
- = at least 128M, better still 256M
- = ON (necessary for nice permalinks)
It is also helpful if you can change important PHP settings yourself, such as B.,, or.
4.8 HTTP / 2
HTTP / 2 is the successor to HTTP / 1.1.
Through better compression and the grouping of several server requests, HTTP / 2 accelerates the data transfer from the web server to the browser enormously.
That is why it is important that your WordPress host supports the new standard!
The following hosting providers already support HTTP / 2:
- IONOS (formerly 1 & 1)
The following hosters do not (yet) support HTTP / 2:
- alfahosting (so far only for server products)
- HostEurope (so far only for server products, not for web hosting packages)
4.9 Good support
The ideal WordPress hoster should offer competent support. For emergencies it is best to be available around the clock and 7 days a week.
A quick response time to inquiries is also very important. Long downtimes, a slow website or malfunctions cause frustration for visitors, loss of income and can have a negative impact on your Google rankings.
At RAIDBOXES I have made a total of 5 inquiries in 3 years, which were answered in an average of 5 minutes and 36 seconds:
That's what I call fast service!
4.10 High uptime
In addition to performance, the reliability of WordPress web hosts is also crucial.
The fastest WordPress website will not do you any good if it is offline for half a day once a week. An uptime (availability) of 99.8% or higher is ideal.
In my web hosting comparison I also tested the uptime, ALL-INKL, webgo and RAIDBOXES did very well:
5. What is managed WordPress hosting and what are the benefits?
The so-called Managed WordPress hostingas it z. B. offers RAIDOXES, your hosting provider takes care of the installation, configuration and maintenance of your WordPress installation.
This is included in all RAIDBOXES tariffs:
- WordPress pre-installed
- regular updates for the WordPress core files
- Automatic backups (included in all RAIDBOXES tariffs)
- Loading time optimization (e.g. gzip optimization, browser caching, own caching systems, etc.)
- Staging environment (to avoid having to make changes to the live website)
- Protection against hackers and spam (included in all RAIDBOXES tariffs)
- Regular scans for malware (included in all RAIDBOXES tariffs)
- Optimal configuration of the server for WordPress
- Support with WordPress problems and questions (the support at normal hosters often does not answer questions about WordPress, as software from third parties)
In the fully managed tariff for € 30 per month (or optionally in any other tariff with an additional charge of € 15) you also get:
- Updates for plugins and themes
The advantage of this:
You have to worry less about the technology and have more time for other things (website content, your customers, your company, etc.).
Here you can find answers to common questions about WordPress hosting:
5.1 Is there free WordPress hosting?
Yes there is.
However, free WordPress web hosting has always a catch:
Be it functional restrictions, a low memory limit, high downtimes, severe traffic restrictions, little or no support, old server software, advertising on your website or security deficiencies.
Let it be. Believe me.
5.2 What are the minimum requirements for WordPress?
WordPress specifies the following values for web hosts in its minimum requirements:
- PHP version 7.4 or higher.
- MySQL version 5.6 or higher or alternatively MariaDB version 10.1 or higher.
- HTTPS support (SSL certificate can be installed)
- A server that runs with nginx or Apache (with the mod_rewrite module)
WordPress also runs with PHP 5.6.20+ and MySQL 5.0+. However, the use of these versions represents a security risk, as they will no longer be further developed.
An SSL certificate is also not absolutely necessary to operate WordPress, but is recommended for security and data protection reasons.
5.3 How can I install WordPress?
The following steps are necessary to install WordPress on your web host:
- Create an SSL certificate (with Let's Encrypt)
- Create a database
- Download the WordPress installation files in German as a ZIP file and unzip them
- Rename to and enter the access data for the database at your web host (database name, database user and password)
- Use the FileZilla program to transfer all files to your FTP server (in the directory assigned to your domain)
- Go to your website URL and follow the instructions
You can find a comprehensive guide, suitable for beginners, on how to install WordPress here: Install WordPress: The foolproof guide (including trouble-shooting!)
By the way, if you decide to host with RAIDBOXES, you can save yourself all of the above steps. Because WordPress is already pre-installed and configured there.
5.4 What about US WordPress hosters?
- What are some good probability problems
- Makes iron rust easier to rust
- How can one find peace of mind
- What anime brought tears to your eyes
- What does a butterfly symbolize
- Does cannabis marijuana help with ADHD
- Why was the Roman army so important
- Why is my husband abusing me spiritually?
- Have you ever regretted letting go of someone
- Is there anyone better than Jiddu Krishnamurti
- Wash your eggs
- Where can I donate leftover food
- Why is my eCPM 0
- Have you ever found yourself anywhere
- What food did old Athenian soldiers eat?
- What word means fear of etymology
- Is it acceptable to love older women?
- What does beach reading mean
- What is an unexpected danger in Israel
- Why can't Ghana print its own currency?
- Who likes the song Indestructible by Disturbed
- What are the uses of the topology
- Carnivores will also like which vegetarian starter
- Where can I buy wholesale fashion jewelry