The US military uses Israeli weapons
Biden for ceasefire between Israel and Hamas
For the third time since the escalating violence between Israel and the radical Islamic Hamas in the Gaza Strip, US President Joe Biden spoke to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the phone. In the conversation, according to the White House, Biden expressed his support for a possible ceasefire between the conflicting parties. The US President had also spoken to Netanyahu about efforts by the United States, Egypt and other partners to achieve such a ceasefire.
In contrast to other heads of state and government and much of his own Democratic Party, Biden has not yet called for an immediate ceasefire. However, he is facing increasing pressure to stand up for an end to violence. Senior officials in Washington pointed out that Biden and his team were working on a solution in talks with Israeli officials and US allies in the Arab world. They are relying on "quiet, intensive diplomacy" in the conflict, added White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki. The US is Israel's most important ally.
"Israel has the right to self-defense"
The White House said that in the phone call with Netanyahu, Biden reiterated his support for Israel's right to self-defense against rocket attacks by militant Palestinians from the Gaza Strip. At the same time, he had encouraged Israel "to make every effort to ensure the protection of innocent civilians".
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken also called on both sides to protect civilians and especially children. The US would continue to work hard to end the current spiral of violence, he added. "We are ready to provide support if the parties seek a ceasefire."
For Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a ceasefire is not yet an option
The blows continue
Despite all diplomatic efforts, Netanyahu reiterated after a meeting of the security cabinet that the attacks in the Gaza Strip would continue. "The directive reads: The strikes against terrorist targets will continue," he said. It is about restoring peace and security for all Israeli citizens.
Fire and smoke following an Israeli attack on targets in Gaza City
The conflict entered its second week with Israeli attacks on targets in the Gaza Strip and the shelling of Israeli cities by Palestinian militants. According to Palestinian sources, Israeli missiles also hit a medical laboratory in the Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, which served as the central point for corona tests and vaccinations. The Ministry of Health complained that tests and vaccinations could no longer be carried out in the Gaza Strip. The pandemic situation is exacerbated by the fact that more than 40,000 people sought protection from the air raids in completely overcrowded civil defense bunkers.
Palestinian militants in the coastal area again fired rockets at the southern Israeli cities of Beersheva, Ashkelon and Ashdod. Paramedics announced that eight Israelis were injured.
The Israeli city of Ashkelon under rocket fire
Six rockets were fired from Lebanon in the direction of Israel, all of which fell on Lebanese soil, the Israeli armed forces announced. In response, the military fired artillery at the attackers.
On Tuesday morning, Israel’s army reportedly intercepted a drone that was flying in the direction of Beit Shean in the north of the country - apparently from Jordan.
And again the UN Security Council advises
In view of the continuing bloodshed, the UN Security Council wants to meet for the fourth time on the conflict this Tuesday. On Sunday, however, a joint statement by the highest UN body failed again due to resistance from the USA.
According to the Israeli military, militant Palestinians have fired more than 3,350 rockets at Israel since Monday a week ago, killing ten people, including two children. More than 300 people were injured.
In return, according to its own reports, the Israeli military has attacked over 1200 targets in the Gaza Strip so far. The Ministry of Health in Gaza put the number of deaths at 212, including 61 children. 1,400 people were injured.
se / ml (dpa, ap, afp, rtr)
- What is your conspiracy theory
- How do I stay safe in Malaysia
- What software does an oil engineer need to know
- When does the Wailana Coffee House close
- Why are goats afraid of water
- What do Hawaiians eat for lunch
- Would pork eat pork
- What is the most expensive Huawei phone
- What kind of shopping screams the nouveau riche
- In which country is English spoken best?
- Why do we need affordable marketing tactics
- How are older workers affected by layoffs?
- What does it mean to judge someone
- What causes craters on the moon
- Why do people love you so much
- How can I become an independent companion
- What is an inexplicable love
- How heavy is the heaviest person alive
- How did Islam come to the Philippines
- Is Python faster than R.
- Can matter be created from energy
- How fast are Ethereum transactions
- Dimensions of the universe
- In what real situations are logarithmic equations used
- What is some information about black holes
- How many people do affiliate marketing
- Which diet drinks are healthy for diabetics
- How were D wheat pennies designed in 1943
- How do I generate leads for advice
- Which country is the most popular food
- What is our best goal as a person
- When are supermarkets busiest?
- Can you share 10 photos of anything