What food is cheap in supermarkets

10 cheap foods under 1 euro: They are healthy and delicious

It's pretty good in Germany. Groceries are cheaper here than in any other country. There are numerous discount stores such as Lidl, Aldi and Co. where we can shop at bargain prices. And yet it happens now and then that we get a little shock at the supermarket checkout when the cashier announces the amount to us.

So that this doesn't happen again, we want to tell you which foods can save you a lot of money. We would also like to dispel the rumor that cheap foods are mostly unhealthy. That's not true. There are numerous staple foods under one euro that can be used to conjure up great and healthy dishes.

We'll tell you which foods you can use to cook cheaply, deliciously and healthily and also present you with ingenious recipes for less than three euros.

10 inexpensive basic ingredients under one euro

Of course, you shouldn't be shopping when you go shopping just pay attention to the price. It is not for nothing that it is said "You are what you eat". It is therefore important to also buy high-quality food and not always only reach for the cheapest product. You can still save a lot of money on some staple foods without affecting the quality of your food.

Read also: Cooking cheaply: 10 simple savings tips for shopping

# 1: rice

Rice has become an indispensable part of many storage cupboards. And that's a good thing, because rice has several advantages. It is a great supplier of carbohydrates and therefore keeps us full for a long time. Rice also has a long shelf life, contains B vitamins and very little fat.

To make your rice dish really healthy, you should serve the rice with vegetables or other valuable ingredients. In the discounter, for example at Aldi Süd, a pack of Basmati rice costs 1.99 euros and contains around 10 servings.

> A portion of rice costs around 20 cents

# 2: potatoes

Potatoes are probably one of the most popular foods among Germans. And rightly so, because they are an excellent, inexpensive staple food. Because of the starch they contain, potatoes keep you full for a long time. They also contain valuable potassium, vitamins B1, B6 and vitamin C. Sweet potatoes also contain many vitamins and minerals. One kilo of potatoes (approx. 5 servings) costs around 2.50 euros on average.

> A serving of potatoes costs around 50 cents

Recipe tip in the video: Stuffed potatoes

Video by Aischa Butt

# 3: noodles

Pasta is probably not the healthiest food. Many also refer to pasta as fattening food. And yet they are a very good (and above all tasty) basis for many dishes. Because of the strong carbohydrates, noodles keep us full for a long time. They can also be combined in many ways, for example with a delicious sauce and fresh vegetables. 500 g penne (approx. 5 servings) cost 50 cents at Aldi Süd. That's around 5 servings.

Reading tip: World's best spaghetti arrabiata: recipe in just 20 minutes

> A portion of pasta costs around 10 cents

# 4: eggs

Whether as a classic breakfast egg, scrambled eggs or omelette: Eggs are also a great and healthy staple food. They are packed with healthy nutrients and are also high in protein. Eggs are one of those foods for which you should definitely spend a little more money. Both in terms of taste and quality, as well as animal welfare. But you can even get a pack of organic eggs with six eggs for around 2.50 euros.

> A portion of organic eggs (2 pieces) costs around 85 cents

# 5: plain yogurt and low-fat curd

Natural yoghurt or low-fat quark are inexpensive staple foods and also very good sources of protein. Anyone who no longer uses ready-made fruit yoghurts or puddings will not only save a lot of calories and hidden sugar, but also money. You can pimp up natural yogurt with fresh fruit or cinnamon, for example, and you have a delicious breakfast or a great dessert.

As with the eggs, the same applies here: Please do not reach for the cheapest product. Because even a cup with 500 g organic natural yoghurt costs just one euro, contains approx. 2 servings and is therefore still very cheap.

Reading tip:It's so easy to make yogurt yourself

> A portion of natural yoghurt costs around 50 cents

# 6: oatmeal

Speaking of breakfast, oatmeal is also a very good staple food. They wrongly have the reputation that they taste rather bland and not particularly tasty, because there are many great recipes with which you can make oatmeal really tasty. For example, for breakfast as a porridge with caramelized apples and banana or as healthy pancakes.

Oatmeal provides the body with fiber and satiates for a long time. They are also very cheap. At Rewe, 500 g of oat flakes cost 50 cents. An average serving is (depending on what you do with it) around 50 g.

> A portion of oatmeal costs around 10 cents

# 7: lentils

Lentils and all other legumes, such as chickpeas, peas, beans and soybeans, are considered an absolute superfood. They provide us with lots of protein and are also rich in vitamins. However, they are not only healthy and varied to prepare, but also extremely inexpensive. 500 g of dried lentils cost around 1.80 euros at Rewe. For a main course you need about 100 g of lentils.

> A portion of lentils therefore costs around 40 cents

# 8: frozen vegetables

There are several reasons why it is worth checking out the frozen food section of the supermarket every now and then for fruit and vegetables. On the one hand, frozen vegetables often contain more vitamins than the fresh version. This is because it is flash frozen after it is harvested. However, the nutritional content of fresh fruit and vegetables can be negatively affected by incorrect storage, light and heat.

And frozen vegetables usually have the edge in terms of price. A pack of 750 g frozen vegetables at Aldi Süd costs 1.30 euros and contains around 4 servings.

Tip: If you don't want to do without fresh vegetables, you can rely on seasonal vegetables. Seasonal products are not only significantly better for the environment, but also cheaper than expensive imported goods. Our seasonal calendar tells you when which fruit and vegetables are currently being grown regionally.

> A portion of frozen vegetables costs around 33 cents

# 9: strained tomatoes

Mashed tomatoes or tomato paste are also foods that each of us should have in our pantry. Passed tomatoes are great for making sauces, for example a delicious tomato sauce for a pasta dish. You can pimp the strained tomatoes with fresh tomatoes or other vegetables. At Rewe, 500 g of tomato strains cost 45 cents. Depending on how you prepare the product, the pack is sufficient for approx. 4 people.

> A portion of strained tomatoes costs around 11 cents

# 10: puff pastry

At first glance, puff pastry does not seem to be one of the healthiest foods, but it is one of the most versatile. You can use puff pastry to conjure up both sweet dishes and lots of savory dishes that are suitable as a main course. You can fill puff pastry wonderfully with vegetables such as spinach, broccoli or tomatoes. A roll costs around 75 cents and is enough (depending on what you do with it) for 2 people.

> A portion of puff pastry costs around 38 cents

You shouldn't skimp on these foods

There are a few foods that you definitely shouldn't skimp on. Be it for moral, quality, or other reasons. Some of the foods you should invest a little more money in include:

  • flesh
  • fish
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products (yogurt, cheese, milk)
  • loaf

As you can see, one of the foods you shouldn't skimp on is mostly animal products. Of course, hardly anyone can afford the expensive steak from the butcher every day. But instead of reaching for the cheap product from the discounter, you could also try to forego meat every now and then.

Instead of buying cheap meat every day, treat yourself to something high-quality from the butcher once a week and forego it for the rest of the week. There are lots of great dishes that are vegetarian or even vegan.

Reading tip:Vegan tastes so delicious: 5 ingenious recipes to cook at home!

Delicious dishes under 3 euros

Now you know which staple foods you can use to conjure up cheap dishes. Is there still something wrong with the implementation? No problem. We'll help you on the jumps and reveal 3 ingenious dishes, all of which cost less than 3 (!) Euros per serving.

1. Healthy pancakes with banana and berries
What you need:

  • 50 g of oatmeal
  • 60 ml milk
  • 2 tbsp spelled flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 banana,
  • Frozen berries
  • some honey

That's how it works:
Put the oatmeal, milk, flour and eggs in a bowl and stir until a homogeneous mixture is formed. Then heat a pan with a little fat and fry the batter into pancakes (the batter is enough for 4 pancakes). As soon as the pancakes are ready, place them on top of each other on a plate and top them with a sliced ​​banana and 3-4 tablespoons of frozen fruit. If you like, you can of course also use fresh, seasonal fruit. Sweeten with a little honey or agave syrup and enjoy!

> The pancakes cost around 2.90 euros per serving

2. Spaghetti with spinach sauce and tomatoes
What you need:

  • 150 g spaghetti
  • 1/2 pack of creamed spinach
  • 6 cherry tomatoes
  • Salt, pepper and nutmeg for seasoning

That's how it works:
Cook the pasta in salted water. In the meantime, put the cream spinach in a saucepan and heat it up. When the pasta is al dente and the spinach is ready, add the pasta to the pan with the spinach. Stir everything once. Then season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and arrange on a plate. Finally cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place on the pasta. So simple, so tasty and super cheap.

> The spinach noodles cost around 1.50 euros per serving

3. Broccoli and mozzarella strudel
What you need:

  • 1 broccoli
  • 1 packet of puff pastry
  • 1/2 pack of crème fraîche
  • 1 onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1 packet of mozzarella
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning

That's how it works:
Cut broccoli into florets and cook in salted water until firm to the bite. Roll out the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and brush with crème fraîche. Spread the broccoli on top. Make sure that the florets are not too big so that the dough does not tear apart later.

Peel the onion and cut into pieces, spread on the broccoli and season everything with salt and pepper. Cut the mozzarella into small pieces and also place over the broccoli. Roll up the strudel. Whisk the egg and brush the puff pastry with it. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 20 minutesuntil the strudel is golden brown. The strudel is enough for 2 people.

> The broccoli and mozzarella strudel costs around 2 euros per serving

Discover our newsletter!
We have so much to tell you: news, trends, tips and much more.
I register

We wish you a lot of fun saving and cooking at home!