Why is Facebook starting a crypto currency
Diem: Facebook's cryptocurrency will likely be launched in 2021
Less revolutionary than planned
Facebook apparently wants to publish its crypto currency Diem in 2021.
Facebook is apparently pushing ahead with its plans for an in-house cryptocurrency. According to the insider report, Diem should start in 2021 - but it will be far less spectacular than initially planned.
In 2019, Facebook announced for the first time that it wanted to stir up the financial world with an in-house crypto currency called Libra. It should be usable worldwide and secured with a basket of different currencies and government bonds. The revolutionary plans of the group were, however, thwarted by regulatory authorities, bitter criticism and numerous data protection concerns, important supporters such as the financial service providers Visa and Mastercard jumped out. At the end of 2020, Facebook announced a change in the name of its currency, Libra became Diem. Apparently, Facebook has not only improved the name, the company has also refined the concept of its cyber money. This is reported by CNBC.com, citing an anonymous insider. Accordingly, Diem will start as a so-called stablecoin in 2021, which will take over the value of the US dollar.
Just a small test balloon at the start
According to the report, the currency will initially be available as a test balloon and will primarily be used for transfers between private individuals. However, initial payment options are already possible at selected retailers. The First Digital Asset Group is working on building the infrastructure to make Diem a recognized means of payment. Chief Ran Goldi told CNBC that the technology behind Facebook's cryptocurrency has changed fundamentally in the past year and a half. A "naive" blockchain has now become a sophisticated solution that should largely meet the requirements of the regulatory authorities. Blockchain analyst Michael Gronager firmly expects Diem to be released this year, according to CNBC, marking another important step in the spread of digital money.
Not all concerns addressed
Facebook is currently in negotiations with the Swiss tax authorities to license Diem as a means of payment. The company claims it is working on important mechanisms to prevent money laundering - one of the major concerns that Libra's critics originally raised. It remains unclear which trading partners Facebook will cooperate with in the future after Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, Ebay and other well-known companies have withdrawn due to initial concerns. In addition, there is still concern about a lack of data protection. Facebook repeatedly draws attention to itself through its lax handling of user data and only had to justify itself for a gigantic data leak at the beginning of April 2021. According to the group, however, no user data should be stored for the use of Diem. There are plans to strictly separate the social network data from the financial data. However, it remains to be seen whether this will actually be implemented.
* Our independent experts regularly deal with products and service providers. We will provide you with the resulting articles free of charge. COMPUTER BILD receives a small commission if you click on a link or conclude a contract with a linked provider. Note: The content on computerbild.de is not a specific investment recommendation and only contains general information. Authors, editors and the cited sources are not liable for any losses that may arise through the purchase or sale of the securities or financial products mentioned in the articles. Complex financial products such as CFDs in particular harbor a high level of risk: According to the company, 67 percent of private investor accounts with eToro lose money when they trade CFDs from this provider.
- What is the greatest secret in the world
- Why is it so difficult to clean windows
- How many states are there in Pakistan
- Can I eat grapes without teeth
- Is an English degree useless
- What are low carbohydrate high protein grains
- What are some really good diet foods
- What is an AVO measuring device
- Fiat Chrysler and Peugeot will merge
- Which body decides on the salary of the ministers
- How does a passionate love begin
- What drives very successful people
- Can Borderline Personality Disorder be cured
- Has anyone used GoDaddy managed WordPress hosting
- Can an Abrams tank be destroyed
- Which company makes the best scented candle
- What is the operation of the steam turbine
- What is an enlarged fatty liver
- Can the credit card payment be stopped?
- What is the most covered song of all
- Does life have a purpose?
- Who were the first to use Quora
- What does it mean to have it all
- What are the consequences of obesity