Are there cameras with artificial intelligence?
Sony: Artificial intelligence right in the camera
Sony has introduced the world's first image sensors in which artificial intelligence for image analysis and image processing is integrated directly into the logic chip. This enables an AI analysis of camera images without having to transfer sensitive content to the cloud, the Japanese company said today in Tokyo.
The novel image sensors are to be used in retail stores, for example, in order to be able to analyze customer movements in a store. If the camera is installed in the entrance area, customers could be counted with it. If it is attached to a shelf, it can be seen where goods are missing. If the camera is installed on the ceiling, it can be used to create thermal images in order to identify areas with many shop visitors.
Sony emphasized that the system could be used to localize a face in an image ("face detection"), but not to recognize specific faces ("face recognition"). Therefore, it is a very privacy-friendly concept. The new image sensors from Sony, IMX500 (l) and IMX501
Image: picture alliance / - / Sony / dpa
New development aims to boost business
Sony has been hit hard as a manufacturer of televisions and other consumer electronics. The new development is intended to boost business at least in the medium and long term. A spokesman said the company expects significant new business from the novel image sensors.
The innovative sensors can also be used to recognize barcodes in logistics or to check in work areas whether employees are wearing protective helmets or breathing masks as prescribed. An application scenario is also conceivable in which the image sensor independently detects a dangerous situation.
The implementation is data protection friendly
The sensors consist of a pixel chip and a logic chip. The signal captured by the pixel chip is processed by the artificial intelligence on the sensor, so that no high-performance processors or external memory are required, Sony promises.
This enables the development of so-called edge AI systems, where the computing power is provided at the edge of the network and data does not first have to be transferred to a data center or the cloud. This also reduces the response time (latency). In addition, the waiver of data transmissions across the network is privacy-friendly.
The Xperia 10 II midrange smartphone has recently become known. The unconventional display is intended to appeal to film buffs and multitasking fans. You can read details in another news item.
- Schoen is an adjective
- How do lottery winners spend their money
- Are the United Arab Emirates a developed country?
- What is your most controversial political opinion
- Why is G2A so cheap
- What rhymes with each
- What do you mean by judging people
- What makes a teacher appreciate a student
- What are some examples of Clerihew poems
- How do I calculate the probability of failure
- What is half of 3 4
- What are the benefits of IVF treatment
- What are some fun philosophical questions
- Does marriage affect longevity
- Sephora has an affiliate program
- How do I find the best partners
- How did the American fast food culture develop
- What's the best old tourist destination
- What is the fastest operating system
- How did Quora develop
- Do you know Reddit and Quora
- Which is the most abundant sedimentary rock
- What illness did Augustus suffer from?
- Python is becoming obsolete