What makes a great cab driver in NYC
Do I have to whistle really loud to call a cab in NYC?
The media portrays New York as a city where you step out the door, whistle and take a taxi to the curb. I've seen so many people try to do just that. There are three main components: they need to see you, they need to register that you are a potential tariff, and they need to be able to stop to pick you up.
Make sure the taxi can see you. If you are in a large crowd, a driver may not be able to see you. Also, make sure you can see oncoming traffic, which means they should be able to see you. This may mean that you need to move to a better position. If a line of people tries to call cabs, go one block up the street so you see the first rate drivers.
Get the driver's attention. The whistle may not always work as drivers may not hear you. However, it will get other pedestrians' attention, which may not be what you want. Raising your arm or waving is another way to stand out from a ride. You can try "TAXI!" Eye contact is great too. All of this lets the drivers know that you are a potential tariff.
Be accessible. Try to find a spot where a taxi can go to the curb. This is safer for them and you, and you can avoid other cars honking their horns if you don't get into your cab fast enough. (Buildings with loading areas off the main entrance are ideal.) A taxi is less likely to stop briefly in busy traffic to pick you up if they are too likely to be in the back. Your fare is insufficient to cover the excess.
A great way to do all of this at once is to have a Taxi rank which is usually outside the major train stations and hotels (where there is also a higher demand for taxis).
- What does sexy mean
- What content marketing tools do you use
- What's the best LMS out there
- What happens to all male cows
- Unemployment has fallen under Trump
- What is empty thought meditation
- How effective is Taboola
- Can I start a company as a freelance worker?
- Why do I always ask questions
- Why are some people silent
- What are flax seeds
- Why did you get out of MIT?
- How was life 10,000 years ago
- California Gun Laws Reduce Gun Violence
- How does Facebook Messenger work
- Why do people pay taxes
- How thin is too thin
- Have you ever accidentally stolen something?
- Why has obesity become an epidemic in China
- Supports Squarespace Wordpress
- Which startups have the best names
- How to use WordPress with GoDaddy
- Who is the top actor in Telugu
- When is a nurse sued?