How do I set a bookmark
Safari browser: add, import, manage bookmarks
That one website with the exotic recipe - where was that again? And the travel offer that you saw earlier - oh no, you had saved that on your company's browser. But now you've opened Safari again, Apple's standard browser for exploring the World Wide Web. Did that mean that the finds from before were never to be seen again? No. Bookmarks make it easy to find your favorites again - if you sign in to Safari with your Apple ID, even on different devices. We'll tell you the best way to handle the bookmarks in the Safari browser.
Add, use and delete bookmarks
With a bookmark you save the address of a website that you want to visit again later in the browser on your iPhone, iPad or Mac. So you have to long or Do not enter cryptic addresses again, but get back to the corresponding page with a click or a tap of your finger. This also works if you have closed the browser completely and switched off the device in the meantime. That's how it's done:
On an iPhone or iPad
- Open the web page you want to bookmark in the Safari browser or leave the page open in case you come across it while surfing and you want to save the address of the page.
- Tap the “Share” button, the icon with an upward pointing arrow in a white rectangle. On an iPhone you will find the symbol in the browser in the lower menu bar, on an iPad in the upper left next to the address bar.
- A selection of different symbols appears. Tap the "Bookmarks" icon, which looks like an open book.
- In the following menu you can change the default name for the bookmark, for example shorten it or add a keyword.
- Under Location choose where to place the bookmarks. The standard here is usually Bookmarks or the folder Favorites selected. If you have created several folders (which we will explain later), you can also assign the bookmark to a specific folder.
- Tap To back up.
- To return to the website later, tap the "Bookmarks" icon. On the iPhone you can find it at the bottom of the menu bar, on an iPad usually in the top right next to the address bar. All bookmarks are displayed, you may have to select the appropriate folder beforehand, such as Favorites select. If you tap the relevant entry, you will be taken directly to the website.
- To hide the bookmarks menu again, tap in the upper right corner Done.
- To delete a bookmark call up the menu again via the “bookmark” symbol.
- Tap on Edit in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the red circle that appears next to the bookmark and select Clear.
On a Mac computer
- Open the page whose address you want to bookmark.
- Click in the top menu bar Bookmarks > Add bookmark. Alternatively, press the key combination “Command” + “D”. As a third option, you can click on the small icon of the website (“Icon”) in the address bar, hold it down and drag it with the cursor into the bookmark bar.
- If desired, enter a new, e.g. shorter name for the website whose address you want to save in the menu that opens.
- Click on Add.
- There are two ways of calling up the bookmark: Either you click in the top menu bar Bookmarks > Show bookmarks or you click on the button with the open book, which is usually located on the left under the address line (“favorites icon”)
- Click on a bookmark and you will be taken to that webpage.
- You can also sort bookmarks in this list or move them to folders by clicking, holding and moving the bookmark.
- To delete a bookmark, Command-click a bookmark in this list and then press the Backspace key. Alternatively, click with the mouse cursor on the name of the bookmark until it is highlighted. Then click to the right of the name on the "X" For Remove.
- To hide the list again, click the favorites icon for bookmarks again.
How to save login passwords in Safari
Quite a few pages require you to enter a user name and password, for example Facebook or club pages. You can also save such access data in Safari so that you do not have to enter them every time you visit. After the first entry, the browser asks you whether it should save your user name and password. You can manage this data on an iPhone as follows:
- Choose Settings > Safari > Passwords.
- Identify yourself using an activation code, Touch ID or Face ID.
- If you tap on one of the websites displayed, you can view the saved password.
- To change it, choose Edit.
- To delete it, swipe left on the line with the website name and select Clear.
The login management on a Mac and on other browsers can be found in the guide Manage and change passwords in Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari
Manage bookmarks by creating folders
If the number of bookmarks becomes confusing, or if you want to group different websites on the same topic, you should create folders in which you collect the bookmarks. It works like this.
With an iPhone or iPad
- Tap the "Bookmarks" icon, which looks like an open book.
- Then tap Edit > New folder.
- Enter a name for the folder.
- Tap Done.
- The folder appears in the bookmarks list.
- To move a bookmark to this folder, first tap again in the bookmark list Edit.
- An arrow appears next to the name of the bookmark, which leads you to a submenu. Select there under Location the folder you want.
- Tap Done.
- If you want to change the order of the bookmarks within the list, also tap on Edit. Hold down the three horizontal lines next to the arrow on the bookmark and simply move the bookmark to the desired location.
On a Mac computer
- Click in the top menu Bookmarks > Show bookmarks.
- Hold down the “Control” key, click on a bookmark folder and select from the context menu that appears New folder.
- To sort the bookmarks, click on a bookmark, hold down the mouse button and move the bookmark to the desired location.
Import or export bookmarks
They have used a different browser so far and would you like to use your tried and tested bookmarks in Safari? If you switch from Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, that's no problem: the bookmarks are automatically imported as soon as you open Safari for the first time. At the bottom of the Favorites or Topsites page, you can decide whether you want to bookmark them Keep or Don't keep it want.
To manually import bookmarks from another browser, do the following:
- Search for the function in the previous browser Export bookmarksto create an HTML file with the bookmarks. With Google Chrome, for example, go to the three vertical dots for “More”> in the top right corner Bookmarks > Bookmark manager > Organize > Export bookmarks to HTML file ...
- Open Safari.
- Choose Filing > Import from > Bookmark HTML file and tap or click the HTML file created by the previous browser. The bookmarks are imported into a new folder within the bookmarks menu.
In the opposite case, if you want to transfer your bookmarks from Safari to another browser, create an HTML file under Filing > Export bookmarks. You can then import these into the new browser.
The internet phone book
Imagine having to type in the addresses of your most popular and most visited pages every time you go online. It would probably feel like in the days of analog telephones, when you had to laboriously enter the telephone number on the rotary dial every time. Bookmarks in Internet browsers are therefore as indispensable as a telephone book was back then. If you use the Safari browser or switch to it, you can save your favorite pages with just a few clicks and visit them again and again without typing in the URL.
Disclaimer OTTO (GmbH & Co KG) assumes no liability for the correctness, topicality, completeness, effectiveness and harmlessness of the information and recommendations made available on updated.de. It is expressly pointed out that the official manufacturer's specifications are to be observed before all other information and recommendations and only these can guarantee a safe and proper use of the respective purchase items.
- How do you say stay in Mandarin
- How does tradeindia com
- How were Hitler's generals killed
- What would happen if ISIS conquered Mecca?
- How is the Hampta Pass Trek
- Would you eat dog meat
- How did Quora develop
- Gambling is all about probability
- Why are statistics so misunderstood
- Why do teachers punish for stupid reasons
- What surprised you about Donald Trump?
- What are the benefits of being muscular
- Why is money important in everyday life
- How are foreigners treated in Vietnam
- Permutations and combinations are all about methods
- How does an INFJ
- Gamification has to be digital
- A career in gaming is good
- Nextdoor has an API
- Can I eat worms, please?
- What are wagon cubes
- Where do rich people buy groceries
- How hackers mirror
- Why are the Chinese in Canada rich