What is Melkersson-Rosenthal Syndrome
English: Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome
The Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome is an inflammatory disease from the group of orofacial granulomatoses, which is characterized by the triad of lip swelling (cheilitis granulomatosa), folded tongue (lingua plicata) and peripheral facial palsy.
The disease manifests itself predominantly in young adulthood. Women are affected slightly more often than men.
The exact cause of the Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome is currently (2008) unknown. It is a granulomatous inflammation. Occasionally there are food intolerances.
Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome can occur in connection with Crohn's disease or sarcoid.
In addition, in Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome - especially buccal and lingual - multiple ulcers of the oral mucosa can be seen. They can appear deep with a raised wall or superficially in the form of aphthous ulcers. They are often accompanied by a swollen and reddened oral mucosa or gingiva. Swollen cervical lymph nodes can be felt in the neck (cervical lymphadenopathy).
The course of the disease is difficult to predict. Often one sees a spontaneous remission, in other cases a protracted course. Recurrences are possible.
The suspected diagnosis can be made on the basis of the typical clinical picture. Additional diagnostic verification methods are:
To rule out sarcoid or Crohn's disease, a chest x-ray and, if necessary, a colonoscopy are also performed.
There is no causal therapy. NSAIDs and glucocorticoids, which can be administered topically or systemically, are given to improve the symptoms. Other therapeutic approaches include immunosuppression with azathioprine or the off-label use of clofazimin and thalidomide.
- What can change our perception of time
- Why is love needed
- How is CE at SVNIT Surat
- What is the derivative of 500 x
- What are people going to do for money
- What illness did Augustus suffer from?
- Prevents Marijuana Cancer
- How common is a 7 inch penis
- Obesity is a problem in Canada
- Which is the smallest digit
- Why is jogging so socially discouraged
- Why do my questions violate the Quora regulations
- What is CLS immunotherapy for cancer
- How strong is drywall
- How do I wake up earlier?
- Who is the biggest fast food chain
- Why did Google purchase SlickLogin
- Can sugary foods kill us?
- What was your favorite place in Vietnam
- Does cutting cat nails hurt them?
- What are Brute Truths About Freelance Work
- Is an English degree useless
- Does the Einstein Rosen Bridge exist
- Is PayPal available in Armenia