Stingray How to catch a stringray
Stingrays: Wanted poster in the animal lexicon
The stingray (Dasyatis) belongs to the family of the stingrays (Dasyatidae). They got this name because of their long tail with a poisonous sting. There are over 70 different species of these fish.
General information about stingrays
The stingray is very flat and mostly diamond-shaped. It is wider than it is long. Some species can be up to two and a half meters long and almost three meters wide. These fish have long, whip-like tails. There are one or more poisonous spines on it. Unlike most fish, they don't have scales, but rather rough skin with tiny teeth. The gills, i.e. the respiratory organs, are just like the mouth on the underside of the fish. The eyes are on the top.
What does a stingray eat?
Stingrays eat small marine animals such as fish, crabs, worms, snails and clams.
How does a stingray live?
These animals live predominantly on the sea floor. Some species prefer shallow water near the coast, others live at a depth of thirty meters. There are freshwater and saltwater species. Freshwater rays are found in South America in the Paraná and Amazonas rivers. The saltwater rays live in the Pacific, Indo-Pacific, South Atlantic and the Mediterranean.
Unlike almost all other fish, stingrays do not lay eggs. They are viviparous. The young do not develop in egg shells, but directly in the uterus.
Are stingrays at risk?
The stingray is threatened in many places by marine pollution and overfishing. Man takes his food from him by catching fish. Not all stingray species are equally at risk.
What is special about stingrays?
The special and at the same time dangerous thing about the stingray is the poisonous sting. With this he defends himself effectively against enemies. The sting is very painful because there are barbs on the stinger. It can cause serious injuries and it can also be fatal to humans. The Australian wildlife filmmaker Steve Irwin, for example, was stabbed right in the heart and died. One should not get too close to these animals and rather look at them from a distance as a diver.
- Scientific name: Dasyatis
- Length: up to 2.5 meters
- Width: up to 3 meters
- Habitat: Amazon, Paraná, Mediterranean, Pacific, Indo-Pacific, South Atlantic
- Diet: small marine animals such as fish, crabs, worms, snails and mussels
- Which idea fascinates you most
- How was life 10,000 years ago
- Why are tariffs bad 1
- How do I leave my alcoholic husband
- Why do I always ask questions
- Why is Continental Food called Continental
- What Are Some Unique Affiliate Marketing Tips
- Which film has the biggest opening scene?
- Have you ever fished anyone
- When is Easter weekend 1
- I'm just a worthless woman
- What are good reasons to work remotely?
- What is general ethics
- What is the most famous new song
- How do I solve 5 6 8
- How fat can i be
- What is relativity theory in space
- How are construction workers paid
- How does a mobile app work
- When can the president go to jail?
- What is B2B market research
- How can I get cold calling projects
- What are some positive adjectives
- Is competition good for education?
- Can you chew tobacco with homeopathic medicine?
- Do you think money is everything?
- Is President Trump hateful
- How can someone work for ADP
- Why is calculus difficult for some students
- Is ClickFunnels worth the money
- The Bible is witchcraft
- Where can I get branded shoes from wholesalers
- How does orthorexia nervosa come from anorexia nervosa
- What are MIT admissions interviewers looking for