Being overweight can affect fertility
Body weight and desire to have children
Being very overweight or underweight does not only have a negative impact on health. Body weight and the desire to have children are also closely related.
Body weight and the desire to have children are important factors. Does your figure matter when you get pregnant? At least in part, because the body mass index (BMI) is one of the indicators of fertility - for both women and men. Very overweight or underweight can lead to an imbalance in the hormonal balance and thus disrupt the female cycle and impair male potency.
The reason for this is the metabolic activity of adipose tissue, especially abdominal fat. It is in these cells that male sex hormones such as testosterone are converted into female estrogens. Quite simply, this means that a lot of fatty tissue produces a lot, little fat tissue produces little estrogens. And an excessively high or low level of estrogen triggers various functional disorders in the female and male body that affect fertility.
Body weight and desire for children: the ideal BMI
The ideal BMI to get pregnant is 18.5 and 24.9. However, it must be taken into account that the BMI of muscular people can also be falsified, for example, and does not say anything about the actual body fat percentage. However, the BMI is generally a pretty good measure of the relationship between height and body fat percentage. You can easily calculate your own personal BMI with a BMI calculator.
Being overweight affects fertility
A BMI of 25 or more can have a negative effect on fertility, but does not necessarily prevent pregnancy. Only if you are very overweight with a BMI of 30 and higher (obesity) can it become problematic to have children.
In women, the high proportion of fatty tissue in the body creates a hormonal imbalance that can lead to menstrual disorders and the absence of periods and ovulation. In addition, the risk of complications during pregnancy (e.g. gestational diabetes, miscarriage) is higher in overweight women than in women of normal weight. In women, being overweight is also considered a trigger for PCO syndrome and reduces the chances of success of medical fertility treatments.
In overweight men, the overproduction of female estrogens in fat cells results in low testosterone levels. This in turn leads to reduced semen production and sperm quality. In addition, men run the risk of erectile dysfunction due to fat deposits in the vessels that are responsible for blood flow to the penis.
Doctors are certain that even a slight weight reduction of five to ten percent in overweight people can lead to a significant increase in fertility. So losing weight is the order of the day so that the dream of having your own child can soon come true. However, radical measures should not be taken. Exercise two to three times a week, such as taking a quick walk for around 30 to 60 minutes and a balanced, healthy diet help to reduce weight gently and over the long term. Crash diets, on the other hand, do not have a beneficial effect on fertility, as they also mess up the metabolism and hormone balance.
Getting pregnant if you are underweight
In women and men with a BMI of less than 18, there is usually too little fat tissue to keep the normal hormonal balance in balance. In women, menstruation and ovulation then fail because too few cycle-regulating hormones are released. In addition, changes in the uterine lining make it more difficult for the egg to implant. However, studies with underweight women show that these disorders are reversible. This means that once their weight and thus their hormonal balance have normalized, women can get pregnant relatively quickly.
As with overweight, underweight in men can have a negative effect on semen production and the quality of the sperm, making it more difficult for the egg to be fertilized. The first step for underweight women or men to have a desired child is therefore a healthy weight gain. The relationship between body weight and the desire to have children should not be underestimated.
- What exactly is lead generation marketing
- Is it Dangerous to Eat Bad Cookies?
- What sizes are liquor bottles
- Can you name a seedless fruit
- Why does chocolate milk cause cancer
- Why don't old people commit suicide?
- Who is Draco's godfather
- What is 1 3 out of 10
- WhatsApp is patented
- When will the threats with the imposed police cease?
- How do I blur Chegg answers
- How do people keep their house clean
- Are there jobs for Filipinos in Singapore
- Are palpitations dangerous
- How can Ampiclox Beecham end early pregnancy
- Why is Minerva McGonagall so overrated
- What gives more happiness, love or success
- What is the reference bible
- How is the Indian economy developing
- Waseda is worthwhile for international students
- Can the heart really feel love?
- You can get 25,000 upvotes for Quora
- Is dominos fast food
- Can capitalism exist without state intervention?
- What are the cons of groupthink
- What is the popular Facebook Celebrity Group
- Drinking water speeds up your metabolism
- How do mathematicians come to conjectures
- We humans are a primitive species
- Poodles are the smartest breed
- What does PM Modi want
- What should a gout diet consist of?
- Am I happy with my life
- Why do they have heart disease