How can I control a tsunami
Tsunami - a controllable danger?
In order to be able to protect itself against such catastrophes in the future, Japan introduced new, controversially discussed, tsunami strategies. In particular, the construction of massive barriers, such as an almost 300 kilometer long concrete dike with a height of between 5 and 15 meters (based on the water level in Tokyo), is controversial with regard to the high construction costs, the difficult access to the sea and the unknown effects on the environment .
Many of the Japanese affected by the 2011 tsunami questioned the new concepts critically and unsuccessfully demanded their verification. Such discrepancies between the authorities and the population are an example of how differently the risk of a tsunami can be perceived by the various recipient groups. If one only considers the high degree of risk of the tsunami, the introduction of such extreme solutions would be justified. On the other hand, there are people with a high tsunami risk tolerance who want to live with the tsunami risk without protective barriers. Tsunamis cannot be completely stopped by any barriers, regardless of height and stability. Therefore, increasing tsunami risk awareness and expanding disaster risk management in the endangered communities appear to be the only sensible protection strategies.
The content and opinions of the authors published here do not necessarily correspond to the opinion of the Science Year 2016 * 17 - Seas and Oceans.
- Why the chi-square distribution is positively skewed
- Artificial sweetener is dangerous
- What makes you sad and why 1
- Organic food is just a marketing strategy
- Exercise will increase your self-confidence
- Why do films influence me so much
- How did you meet your husband 1
- What motivational advice changed your life
- What is the simple definition of probability?
- What are Wix's competitors
- Have you ever been with a ghost
- Should I learn Indonesian or Malay Why
- What makes your life a healthy one
- What is the most expressive language
- How do you spell friend
- Which LED screen is good
- What is the minimum wage in India
- Dogs understand the concept of cars
- What is meditation for sleep
- What is your favorite guardian dog breed
- Mormons can play Dungeons Dragons
- Is Australia still a colony
- Is Primerica a good place to work
- Shy people can get famous