Do livers really grow back
Liver - structure and function
General information about the liver
The liver, which weighs around 1.5 kilograms, is the largest gland and the central organ for the body's metabolism. Vital nutrients are stored in it and toxins are removed from the blood. Almost 2,000 liters of blood are pumped through the liver every day, which corresponds to 1.5 liters per minute. This means that the total volume of blood flows through the liver 350 to 500 times a day.
The liver has the extraordinary ability to regenerate: If parts of the organ are removed, they can grow back again. For this reason it is z. B. possible to surgically remove a severely damaged liver and replace it with parts of a liver from a living donor (living liver donation). Typically, in a live liver transplant, 50-60% of the donor's liver is transplanted into the recipient. In both the donor and the recipient, the liver begins to grow after just a few days, until it has reached its original size again after about 2 months. In addition to this transplantation of a liver lobe from a living donor - an operation that is only performed at special centers with appropriate experience - the liver of a deceased donor is much more often transplanted if the recipient's own liver suddenly fails (due to drugs, poisons, viruses) or destroyed by a chronic illness.
Hepatology is the "science of liver diseases" and includes diseases of the liver, gall bladder and biliary tract. It is a specialty of gastroenterology. Important liver diseases (hepatopathies) are, for example, inflammation of the liver (hepatitis), fatty liver (steatosis) and a tumor in the liver (hepatoma).
- How many people had threesomes
- What is the fee in KVS
- Overweight people should face higher insurance premiums
- How does Galveston smell
- Why is Dubai hated so much
- Bigger brains are smarter
- What is dead weight in a bridge
- What is personal branding
- App ideas need a patent
- Which books help to make someone smarter
- Accepts Uber classic cars
- What is the fastest loading website
- Are the Google search results biased
- What is chi energy in martial arts
- How can I understand Japanese easily
- Which country has the most guns
- Why do teenagers want to be popular
- What causes aggression against homosexuality
- What were the achievements of Aristotle
- What does not printable mean?
- What is the purpose of walls
- How can I start an online school?
- People are less happy than before
- Which are the main international airports