What is the value of 1 to the power of 1
Powers and rational numbers
bettermarks »Math book» Numbers »Rational numbers» Arithmetic, arithmetic laws and word problems with rational numbers »Powers and rational numbers
In these explanations you will learn how to calculate with powers of rational numbers.
Basic concepts for potencies
Each power consists of an exponent and a base. You pronounce the arithmetic operation as “2 to the power of 5”. If there is a “2” in the exponent, for example at, then you can also say “7 squared”.
,,, ... are called powers of ten.
,,,, ... are called powers of two.
Convert potencies into a product
The power notation is an abbreviation for multiplying equal numbers. The natural number in the exponent indicates how often the base is multiplied by itself. One also uses powers with the exponents 1 and 0. A power with the exponent 1 represents the number itself, i.e. the base: A power with the exponent 0 represents the number 1 for every base (except zero):; ; ; ...
A power is the repeated multiplication of a number by itself!
When the exponent is 1, the power is equal to the base.
If the exponent is zero and the base is nonzero, the power is 1.
Natural numbers as a basis
Negative numbers as a basis
Powers with fractions
If the base of a power is a fraction, an easily recognizable calculation rule follows from the definition of powers: You can convert a power with a fraction as the base by dividing the exponent between the numerator and denominator.
Signs of powers
In the case of powers, the following rules apply to the signs:
If the base is positive, the total potency is always positive.
If the base is negative, the entire power is positive for even exponents.
If the base is negative, the entire power is negative for odd exponents.
Negative base with an even exponent
Any two negative factors can be combined into one positive factor. The product of these positive factors is also positive.
Negative base with odd exponent
Any two negative factors can be combined into one positive factor. However, if the exponent is odd, the number of factors is odd. Thus you form the product of all positive factors and one negative factor and get a negative result.
Different bases and exponents in comparison
With a positive base (here the 2) the entire power is always positive, with a negative base (here the -2) the sign of the result always changes, depending on whether the exponent is odd (e.g. 1) or even (e.g. 2) is.
- Why are intelligent people hated
- Is it acceptable to love older women?
- Live love with people
- What's wrong with the Tesla CyberTruck
- What if Indonesia invaded Papua New Guinea?
- What are the types of radiation therapy
- Why does the grandfather's paradox happen
- What percentage of 15 is 9
- What is the best site builder software
- Is Donald Trump a good politician
- Can the US successfully invade China?
- Does the Bible condone incest
- Gun violence is really a problem
- How do you keep cookies fresh
- The light is influenced by the gravitational time dilation
- How Much Do Uber Executives Make
- Which 9mm pistols are considered the best
- What are the positive aspects of you
- What are the top market intelligence companies
- What is 40 percent of $ 80
- How are you going to fake others
- Boys can wear bikini tops
- Was there ever life on Venus
- How is poverty related to inequality?